chapter nine

Another day, another 8 hour shift at the bakery. Niall was excited all day, today was finally the day he could go get those guitar lessons he's been longing for. He couldn't wait to learn more songs and get better at playing the guitar. Who knew, maybe some day he would write a song of his own. Right now he just needed to focus on getting the cords right so he could play as naturally as Ed someday.

The morning was another slow morning, without much customers, Niall had already wiped the same spot of the counter for the tenth time and he was slowly losing his mind. Zayn had a day off today and Debbie ran to the grocery store because they ran out of vanilla, and if they happen to run out of something all help broke loose. So it was just Niall, the empty store, and no company.

He begins to fiddle on his phone because he had nothing else to do. Niall didn't hear from Harry for 2 days after their late night conversation and he is scared to admit he kind of misses the conversation they had and wished they'd continue. Niall was far too insecure to message Harry first, he thought Harry obviously had more important things to do than message Niall all day.

Beat down by this memory from what seems like forever ago Niall decided to get out of this funk, he wouldn't and couldn't let another boy ruin him and his life again like what had happened previously, he didn't need to get attached to anyone new right now. He needed to focus on himself, his baking, and his guitar lessons, everything else could come and go.

Niall decides to quickly head to the back and grab a pastry to munch on, Debbie never minded if he did this as long as he didn't do it in front of customers or when they were really busy. Right as he made his way back to the kitchen he heard the bell above the door ding signaling someone was here. Sighing because they pastry was so close but so far, the person who entered better be quick, Niall was starving.

As he heads back to the front to greet the customer Niall is startled as he looks into deep green eyes that belong to none other than Harry Styles.

"Harry? What are you doing here?"

"Oh! Niall! I didn't know you worked here, I was just passing along the way and saw this cute bakery and decided to check it out."

"Yeah I've worked here for a while... What can I get you?"

"Oh right of course!" Harry looks around nervous before glancing again at Niall, "Surprise me" he says with a wide smile.

Niall is quick to smile back and goes and starts making coffee for Harry which he'd hopefully like.

"You know, this place is really cute, I really like it in here"

"Thanks! The owner is amazing, this bakery was passed down to her from her parents and she's pretty much kept it the same sense."

"Oh wow, that's crazy.... So, how have you been? It's been a while since I last saw you at the concert"

"Oh you know, just work and sleep really" Niall couldn't stop smiling at Harry, it's as though the smile was permanently etched on his face. He couldn't believe that Harry was standing in front of him in the place he worked at none the less, complimenting the interior design, he must be dreaming!

"Listen, Niall you should come down the second show I'm having next Saturday. I already invited Louis so I'm sure you'll be hearing about it soon... I'd...I'd really like it if you came" Harry says shyly, unable to meet Niall's eyes. Excuse me?! Did Niall just correctly hear that Harry Styles wanted him to come to his show?

Niall had come around the counter so the conversations felt less formal, and gave Harry his drink to try and disperse some of the awkward energy that's built up in the room.