Chapter 3

Serena's p.o.v

I had art last class it's like the only class I don't have with jay. He got me to laugh in history. It's so weird I can't remember the last time I actually laughed. He just has this weird effect on me and I've only known him a day. There was just something about him. No snap out of it serena. He's just being nice because he's new and doesn't know you.

School was soon over I had started walking home. When a car pulled up beside me I freaked out for a second  but I saw it was jay. He wanted to give me a lift home but I refused. We could only be friends at school and the small matter of buying alcohol for my dad. He asked why but I could hardly say "I had to get alcohol for my dad.". So I lied through my teeth and said I preferred to walk. Which was a total lie I would've loved a lift as my ankle was fractured from when he pushed me down the stairs a month ago but I couldn't go to the doctor they would ask too many questions. Also I couldn't let him know where I live. Or maybe worse of all if my dad saw me with him. I'd be in an extreme amount of trouble. He already calls me a slut when I haven't even kissed a boy. I don't wanna even think about what he'd do if he saw me with jay.

I got to the local corner shop and got 5 bottles of vodka a slab of beer and 2 bottles of whiskey. The owner of the store was friends with my dad so they knew I was picking it up for him. Otherwise a seventeen year old wouldn't be able to buy any of that. I mean seventeen year olds do buy stuff but they'd only let it slide if it's something small. I put most of the whiskey and vodka in my backpack but I had to carry some of it. It was a struggle but I only had a five minute walk. I could do this.  My foot ached but I was almost home.

I was home in no time. I was dreading it because he was going to be some what sober and that meant he'd just beat me for no reason. I think when he was drunk he could drown out the pain he felt from losing my mam but when he's sober all thoughts of my mam come rushing to his head and he can't cope. So he takes it out on me.

"Dad I have your drink" I called out. Hoping he would take it easy because I brought him alcohol.

I saw the lights were dim and the curtains were drawn I didn't like this atmosphere one bit. It was eerie like something bad was gonna happen. But then again it's not like this house has had any positive atmosphere since my mam died. It's like there's this volcano waiting to erupt.

He was in the sitting room belt in hand. I visibly gulped. I was terrified. I knew what was going to happen next.  I couldn't do anything to stop it.

"What took you so long? Were you out being the sl*t you are? Hmmm.... answer me?"

I didn't look up and stayed quiet with tears streaming down my face. You'd think I'd be used to it by now but it still hurt.  I did know however to keep my mouth shut. Talking only ever made it worse. How could anyone treat their own child like this. Then everything started to get hazy.

I felt myself being slammed into the wall. With a load crack, I banged my head and everything began to get fuzzy. There was a shower of belt whips. I was coming in and out of consciousness. Then I felt the knife carving words on my legs arms stomach or was it random lines. The blood slowly trickled down my arm onto the floor.  A silent screen came from my mouth.

"Don't run out of drink again"

We're the last words I heard before darkness enveloped me.........

I woke up after everything, I think it was a few hours later. He was screaming telling me to make dinner and clean up the mess I made. I felt dizzy and disorientated then everything's came rushing back. Ironic how I have to clean up my own blood. It wouldn't be the first or the last time though.

Once I had made his dinner and cleaned up My blood and the mess of glass he'd broken at some point. I went up to my room and took out a first aid kit. I quickly stitched up my wounds but my head was still pounding and I felt dizzy. I forgot when I learned how to do this I guess I just picked it up somewhere along the way. I shouldn't sleep because I have a concussion but I again welcomed the darkness. It was my only escape. As I was drifting I could picture jay. This made me smile. What was happening to me.

I woke up on my mattress the light streamed in through my window. I steadily got up only for  everything to ache I moved slowly and stiffly. I checked the time.

How was it the afternoon. Did I miss school or did I only black out for a few minutes what day is it. I felt so lost. Crap what if it was. I quickly got up as fast as my body would allow.

When I got downstairs eventually my dad wasn't there. I went to the kitchen and realized it was the next day. I guess I missed school after all.  It wouldn't be the first time.

Jays pov

I got to school today excited to spend the day with my mate but she never showed. I hope she's ok. I asked around about her in the school and students either don't know who she is or they talk about her the same way queen bee did in the cafeteria. It took all my control not to snap at them.

My sweet little angel, why didn't she have loads of friends. Something just seems off. I'm gonna do my best to learn all about her and help her if I need to.