nr. 27 - the weekend at the lodge

The next week as Dot and Kippi were about to head out to school Octavia stopped her daughter. Kippi looked nerbously between them. "I'll be outside. Teddy's waiting anyways. We'll wait for you." she rambled, rushing out the door. "Thanks." Dot waved as she turned back around to her mother.

She knew this had to be about the ditch day from the week before. Although she hadn't mentioned it at this point, she might have known all along and just waited for the right moment to punish her for it. "Is everything okay?" Dot asked. Octavia took a painfully long time to answer. Dot put her weight from one foot to the other as she nervously fidgeted with her hands.

"I just wanted to make sure that you were okay. You know, with Violet and the things you found out and everything?" Octavia asked. Dot had to restrain herself from letting out a relived breath. Maybe the ditch day would just stay a secret. It didn't really matter anyways. Not anymore.

Dot put her backpack on and quickly nodded. "I mean, it was completely crazy finding out all of these things but I guess now that I'm older I realize that life isn't just black and white and that everyone has some kind of secret to hide. So yeah, the investigation was put on hold and I'm focusing on school and my friends and my life now." Dot explained.

Octavia nodded. "Good to know. Well, I love you. And have a great day at school." she said, giving her a hug. "Love you too." Dot said. "Alright baby, see you tonight." Octavia told her. They pulled apart and Dot rushed out to Kippi.

The group sat in the student lounge as Archie and Veronica went on and on about their luxury weekend at the the Lodge's lodge. "Fair warning. Our Shadow Lake chalet is rustic, but it has breath-taking views of the mountains, the water." Veronica said. "Oh, my God. That sounds heavenly, V." Betty told her.

"What do you say, Jug? Can you bear it?" Veronica asked. "As long as it's cool with your dad." Jug shrugged. "Mr. Lodge actually suggested it." Archie chimed in. "Yeah." Veronica nodded. "Well, then, cue the dueling banjos." Jug said. Dot her head in her palms. She wasn't up for some luxury weekend at all.

And of course the girls next question was the one Dot didn't want to hear. "So Dorothy, Theodore, will you be escorting your beau's this weekend?" she asked. Teddy needed no time thinking about it. "For sure." he immediatly said. Betty smiled at him. Dot looked back and forth between Jug and Veronica.

This group was becoming strained. There was no doubt about that. Veronica and Archie were under the paw of the Lodges and something seemed to be up with Betty eversince her brother came into the picture and even more since Veronica's confirmation ceremony. But a weekend away from all the drama with Jug did sound nice. She shook her head. "Oh what the hell, let's just do it." she said. Veronica smiled at her, pleased with herself.

"It'll also be a good chance for me to work on my novel." Jug chimed in. Dot sighed quietly "Excellent! But remember, the point of this luxury weekend is to relax and unplug." Veronica reminded them. "'Luxury' and 'weekend', two of my favorite words." Cheryl suddenly said as she walked into the room.

"So, where are we going, and how extravagant a wardrobe should I pack?" she asked. The group looked at each other akwardly. Cheryl had a knack for showing up when hearing the word 'party' but this was nearing wizardry. "Sorry, Cheryl. It's kind of a romantic, couples-only weekend." Veronica told her. "I see. Of course. My mistake. Well, have fun with your romances." the redhead said, then backed out of the student lounge.

The weekend came by quickly and Dot was still at home packing the last of her things while Jug waited for her downstairs. "Dot, just remember to be careful this weekend, okay?" her mom asked. Dot knitted her eyebrows together as she looked back at her mom. "Is everything okay? You seemed extremely nervous this week." Dot asked.