{9. The Ball}

We rode in two separate cars, Zac and I in one and Bates and Lea in the other. I looked out the window out into the dark night that the moon's light illuminated. "What are you thinking about?" Zac softly asked as he placed one of his hands on my thighs.

"Do you want me to be honest?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow causing him to momentarily look away from the road 

"You can tell me anything," he insisted, the earnest in his voice made me look away once more.

"I'm thinking about Wren," I admitted. "She...she has a rough life and Luca and I promised her we'd never leave her no matter what and now..." I trailed, remembering that she didn't do well with broken promises due to the many her parents had already broken, "I'm worried about her."

"She still has Luca, right?" Zac questioned and I nodded.

"Yeah, but it took both Luca and I to balance her out- I was there when she needed someone to listen to her and give her advice and Luca's there to distract her and make her smile. Luca tries to get to her on an emotional level, but he's not at the level that Wren requires and he hates himself for it. In a way, I balance them both out I guess." Sadness slowly constricted around my heart as I thought about all the crap Wren's had to go through. My mom and I even invited her to live with us when things got especially rough with her foster parents.

"It's okay, Princess," Zac cooed as he took my hand in his and gave it a light squeeze. "I promise you that Luca is taking good care of her."

"How can you be sure?" I questioned, finally looking at him.

"Trust me," he vaguely answered. "But now is not the time for sadness. We're here." I looked up and realized we were slowly pulling up to a giant house where dozens of people we entering with twice as many cars parked in front of it.

"Wow," I breathed, as I took in every detail from how it was built, to its immaculate yard, the the breathtaking fountain that had two white wolves spewing out two streams of crystal clear water that met in the middle and became one stream.

"Wow indeed," he chuckled as he found a parking spot. "Welcome to the pack where I spent most of my childhood."

"Wow," I repeated, unable to say anything else, causing him to chuckle before he exited the car and walked around to the other side and opened my door before helping me out as well.

"You'll meet everyone who's ever been important to my life other than Bates and Lea here. They're going to love you, Princess," he said, whispering the last part in my ear before he placed a sensitive kiss behind my ear. "You just look so beautiful," he said looking into my eyes. "I just hate that that mask is covering up most of your beautiful face." I smiled in response as he slid his hand into mine.

"I'll be fine as long as you don't leave my side. I'm honestly terrified," I admitted as we became closer to the door.

"I won't leave. I promise," Zac said as he opened the grand oak door to the house. As soon as we stepped in, conversation and laughter bombarded my ears.

"Hey Zac!" A female voice called, the parts of her face I could see were soft and beautiful though her eyes revealed that she was much older.

"Hey Jessica," Zac smiled as he embraced her. "I've missed you guys. By the way, where's Aiden?"

"Somewhere around here," she vaguely answered. "He's worried sick about the kids though they're old enough to handle themselves and we've got a babysitter."

"Classic Aiden," he chuckled.

"Who's the human?" Jessica asked as her attention found me. I instantly shrunk back.