{12. Proving Points}

My body felt heavy as I walked with Zac to the meeting with his people.

Reality was quickly dawning on me.

My heartbeat raced as I felt dozens of lycan eyes on me, analyzing me and ripping me apart. I could practically hear their thoughts of doubt regarding my ability to protect them, let alone be one of them someday, the gigantic scar across my face was proof enough of that. I felt like I was going to be sick.

Relax, Austin, everything is fine, Zac's soothing voice echoed in my head, startling me. I turned toward him and he still had the same stoic expression he'd had the whole journey through the pack house to the meeting room.

Zac, you can't just appear in my head, I chastised, though I knew me telling him to stop would to little in actually deterring him from doing it if he wanted.

Sorry, Princess, but it's not like your head comes with a door I could knock on or a doorbell I could ring, he playfully joked, though physically, his jaw clenched and he held onto me tighter. The look in his eyes told me that despite his joking manner, he was deeply troubled and confused.

Our journey through the gigantic pack house continued on in absolute silence, with the only sound heard being the sound of dozens of shuffling feet as various warriors followed us, including Lea and Bates. Zach effortlessly pushed open a thick door at the end of one of the hallways in the labyrinth of a house we were in, revealing a large room with a conference table and just shy of a hundred chairs. The echoes that our footsteps once had were instantly sucked from the air as we walked in, likely due to the walls being soundproof so anyone passing by couldn't hear what was going on.

Zac led me to one of the two chairs at the head of the table, and we stood waiting as Bates stood behind a chair to Zac's right and Lea stood behind one to my left. Everyone filed in until there was one person behind each chair. Seeing so many people in front of me brought on a new wave of anxiety, especially when I felt the strength and power in their gazes alone.

I didn't belong here.

Don't think like that, Zac said, his words gently caressing my heart and calming me down ever so slightly.

You wouldn't be saying that if you were the only human in a territory full of wolves.

Don't worry, Princess. If anyone dares to even look at you the wrong way...you'll have to deal with me. He chose his words carefully, though I knew that translated to "I'll kill them", something that was thrown around so frivolously in this world as if death and murder meant nothing.

My hand instantly felt empty as Zac let go of me to pull out a chair for me as soon as everyone was still and quiet. I gave him a nod of thanks as I took my seat before he pushed me in and took a seat to my right. His face was deadly serious, borderline frightening. Power radiated from every breath he took, and he didn't have to say a word for it to be known that he was a deadly force to be reckoned with. And this deadly force was pissed.

Because of me.

"Sit," he ordered, his voice booming through the room before it was effectively absorbed by the thick walls that had been witness to many important meetings before this one, and undoubtedly, many more after. I wondered if I ran my fingers against it, would every secret spill out onto them like a stream of water? Everyone followed Zac's command without hesitation. "One of you better have answers as to how a rogue slipped into my territory undetected."

No one answered.

He chuckled as he shook his head and slowly rose to his feet. "I'm sorry, you must not have heard me. I said that one of you better have answers to how a rogue slipped into my territory undetected before I do things to you that'll make death at the hands of a rogue seem inviting!" By the time he was done, his eyes were ink black and I could physically see the rage that was pumping through his protruding veins.