Chapter Two- Carry On

"Stop running away from me, Ally! I know that's you!"

My feet are carrying me as fast as they can and my chest burns from the lack of air. I feel an arm rip me around and I crash into his chest. "I knew it. You're alive." Our faces only centimeters apart, my heart beating so hard I feel like it's about to burst out of my chest.

"You need to leave me alone!" He places his hand on my cheek and I close my eyes. His touch, god how I've missed that touch.

"I can't," his voice cracks and I open my eyes to look into his glossy ones, "I love you."

My lip quivers and he traces his thumb over it. He leans in and it's like I forget how to breath.

'You have tried so hard to get away from this.' My subconscious reminds me and I push him away.

"No, you have to stop following me!" I shout and his eyes grow wide.

"But why?" He whispers, clearly hurt.

I inhale deeply and release, my breath evident amongst the cold night air. "Because I don't love you! I have moved on and started this amazing life for myself. I don't care about any of you anymore! You know why? Because you were all holding me back, Ashton! You were walking reminders of all the pain that I've been through!"

Tears pour down his cheeks and he shakes his head. "I have been mourning you ever since the day you left! Peyton didn't leave her bed for months and almost didn't graduate because her best friend was 'dead.' I put a damn gun to my head ready to die for you!"

I stare at the ground, frozen in place. "I didn't make you do that." I whisper and he charged towards me, wrapping his hands around my neck. He pushes me against the wall of the building behind us and my feet dangle off the ground.

"S-Stop, Ashton!"

"If you weren't dead before, I'm going to make sure you die now!" He pulls out a gun and pressed it to my head.

He pulls the trigger and-

I jolt up as my alarm goes off and I am covered in sweat. "Holy fuck." I whisper out of breath. I walk into my bathroom and open the medicine cabinet.

I grab the pills my doctor prescribed. I haven't had a bad dream like that in awhile. I pop one in my mouth and wash it down with a cup of water.

I check my phone and see an unknown number had texted me.

From: Unknown

Hey, in town for a day or two. Drinks?

Love always,
Dad

I smile and type back a 'yes of course.' I hear a noise downstairs and I flinch. I grab the baseball bat behind my door and creep down the long set of glass stairs. I see my fridge open and I charge towards them.

"Get out of my house you fucker!" I shout and they turn around.

Sage screams and the donut that was in her mouth falls onto the floor.

"Sage!"

"Why are you yelling at me! You just tried to inflate my head with a bat you psycho!"

"Well, excuse me for trying to protect myself when I think I hear some stranger rummaging around my home!"

She thinks for a moment then nods. "Fair point, but I'm pissed because you made me drop my donut." I shrug and sit down on a stool against the bar.

"One minute rule." She scrunches her nose but picks it up and continues to eat it anyways.

"I don't think that's how it works but when have I ever cared." I chuckle and rub my eyes.