Johnny: Take A Chance

Walking down the street, you noticed a group of about five Socs ganging up around someone. He looked small in built with black greasy hair and he was dressed in all denim, a black shirt and converse.

You knew him, you remembered seeing him around school a couple times. Now if only you could remember his name. One finally popped into your head.

Johnny! At least I hope I'm right. Oh well, even if I'm not, it's better than nothing.

You knew the were planning to jump him, seems he wondered a little off his side of town. You knew you had to do something. It's five against one, not exactly a fair fight; not that you liked fights to start with, so it gave you an even bigger reason to intervene.

You weren't a Soc, but you weren't a Greasers either. You were something inbetween - middle class if you will. Not poor enough for the east side, yet not rich enough for the west side, but you got along with most from both sides of town. That was one benefit of being middle class.

"Hey Johnny, there you are," you shout, running up to him before the Socs got too close. "I've been looking all over for you." You were panting by the time you got up to them, you were not a runner.

The Socs turned towards you, "You know this little grease-ball?" The all laughed at the insult.

"Uh, yea. That's Johnny, I've been looking around for him, we're partners on an English project."

"Yeah, well he's on our side of town," another said.

"I told him to meet me around here, it's a middle territory between our houses. I would have walked to his house, but I don't know the east side too well."

"Keep it that way," another advised. "Greasers are nothing but trouble."

After a couple more exchanges the Socs finally left, you offered to walk back to his house with him to make sure the boys didn't follow.

Along the way, you found out you were right, his name was Johnny. You guys talked a little and found you had a lot more than you thought in common with each other. He also let you know he wasn't going home, but of to his friend Ponyboy's house. You knew him too, hung around Johnny and that guy that always wears Mickey Mouse.

When you arrived at Ponyboy's house, there was a lot of company, a group of six boys watching the two of you walk up. Johnny walked through the gate and you turned around, but something made you stop and turn back, facing the gate.

"Hey, Johnny?"

"Y-yea?"

"What would ya say to uh," you're confidence was wavering. "You don't have to if you don't want to, but what do ya say to maybe seeing a movie this Friday night?" You looked down at your feet blushing. You took a quick glimpse up at the boys, noticing Johnny looking at his feet too. You see his face is a slight tinge of pink.

You end up getting to watch Ponyboy nudging Johnny in his side and cocking his head towards you. "Go on, man. She's mighty pretty and seems nice too. May as well go for it."

Johnny blushed an even deeper red, it was a whisper but you could hear him, "Man, you know I ain't got any money." Johnny had a disappointed and defeated look on his face. He had hoped you hadnt heard him.

"I ain't got none either. I have a buddy down there that works consessions, was gonna see if I could sweet talk him into borrowing me a couple bucks until my paycheck rolls around," you giggle slightly. "If not, just figured we could sneak in. I know a spot."

Johnny shoved his hands deeper in his pockets, cheeks turning even more red.

"Ah, shucks, he's turning red as a steamed lobster," Two-bit jokes, messing up his hair. "This greasy little hobo will see ya Friday at 7," Two confirms.

You look at Johnny and smile, he quickly looks at you, giving a shy smile back.

"Cool, see ya at 7," you say as you turn to start your walk home, thinking of nothing but Johnny and your upcoming date.