Darry: Haunting

Holding out your hand, gloves acting as a barrier, you caught a few flakes of snow while watching the rest of them dance through the air. The crisp are of that winter morning burned your nose, but you weren't going to leave - there was far too much fun to have.

Dodging a rogue snowball, you watched the boys toss them any which way, not caring who they hit in the process, as long as it hit a target.

The laughter filled the air, making a smile play across your lips, hoping this day could never end - but you had to say goodbye for a while. Having told them you must be off, you disappeared for quite sometime. It had been after dinner before you came back around; nobody else being up but Darry, who had left a plate out for you.

He took on the exhausted looked on your face, the dark circles , and the ever shrinking frame you had, he knew you'd say no, but he had to try - he always tried.

"I know it's hard, doll, but ya gotta eat something," even though he knew you wouldn't. You just smiled, and walked over to the couch, laying down, not even bothering to change. You just wanted sleep and some hope for a better tomorrow.

Waking up, the sight was different, the living room was gone, replaced with a bedroom. Nobody seemed to be home, until a small creaking sound came from the door and Darry walking in with two glasses of cocoa, one for you and one for himself. Snuggling into bed next to you, telling you about how he had called in from both jobs just to spend the day with you, made you feel invincible.

Cold sweats and violent shakes are no new way for Darry to wake up anymore. Sitting on the edge of the bed, he layed his head in his hands and let a few tears out. Soda walked passed his room, noticing, he went to grab Ponyboy.

Quickly filing back in his room, Darry just left his head in his hands. "Why didn't she me she was sick? I could have done something.  Spent more time with her, helped her, anything." It was muffled, but clear enough.

"She didn't want to worry you. That's why she swore to never have us tell you," Soda confessed.

"She said you had too much on your plate with work and takin' care of us. Didn't want to put any more pressure on ya," Ponyboy added.

"But I still could have been there."

"She understood. Big brother, you know she wouldn't want you blamin' yourself like this," Soda comforted.

"I know, I just wish I could have done more, been there more. Maybe I'd I had..maybe I wouldn't be feeling this way."

After a while, he had told them he'd be okay and that they needed to get some sleep, hoping he'd get some of his own.

He felt his world change the day you left him permanently. It was just like the night his parents died. It felt like the whole world stopped, but he had to move on for the boys, but he still hangs onto the memories and let's them go in the night.

He'd always visit you and his parents, people would see him just sitting down talking to stone, giving him strange looks. It seemed odd to watch a man talk to people like they're actually real, but not realizing him being only twenty, was still a kid himself who still needed a way to figure out how to deal with it all happening so fast.

Everybody says I'm crazy, (y/n), guess we'll have to see..