The Gang: What Families Do

C'mon, pick up," you mumbled to yourself.

"Curtis residence, Sodapop speaking."

"Hey, Soda. Uh, Darry wouldn't happen to be home would he?"

"Yeah, he's right here. Hold on."

"Hello?" 

"Hey, Darry, listen I was hopin'you could do me a favour. I'm in jail right now. You think you could call my ma and see if she'd bail me out? I know if I call she'll hang up right away, but she's always had a soft spot for you, maybe she'd hear ya out."

"Alright, I'll give it a try, see you down there in a little bit."

He hung up and now all you could do is wait.

Staring at the ceiling was the only thing passing time by, it hadn't been that long, only 'bout a half hour, but it had felt like hours. You could hear keys rattling down the hall, but you didn't pay any mind to it.

"Good news, (y/l/n), your bail's been paid. Follow me to collect your things and go, cause they're waitin' outside for you."

After collecting your things, you see the boys waiting by Darry's truck.

"You ready," Darry asked.

"Man, I told you, if she didn't say yes, just let me sit."

Soda butted in, "That ain't how we do things."

You could feel your eyes beginning to water. Nobody ever saw you cry, and you didn't want them to start now.

"I'll pay you guys back somehow, I swear."

"You ain't gotta worry about it, Kid," Dallas reassured.

The tears were building up even more. Ponyboy put his hand on your shoulder, "You don't need to get upset about your mom, she ain't worth it." The boys all nodded in agreement.

You chuckled, "Guys, I take two-by-fours and plenty of beatin's from my old man. My mom chases me with knives, trying to kill me, and constantly tells me how much of a burden and how worthless I am. I never cry about it, so I certainly ain't gonna cry over the fact she won't help me the only time I've asked."

Two-Bit came up and gave you a hug, "Then what's upsetting you, kid?"

You could feel the tears falling down your cheeks. "I shouldn't have to depend on you guys to help me out, I should be depending on my parents, but they don't care."

"Hey now," Soda tries to soothe you by being the one to hug you, "We may not be biological, but we're all family and that's what families do. They take care of one another. When it comes down to it, for the most part we're all we've got left. We ought to be able to stick together against anything. If we don't have each other, we don't have anything."

You wiped the tears from your eyes and smiled. Hopping in the back, you couldn't help but think to yourself about how right Soda was. Family was where you felt safe and were wanted, a place you could come to and not feel scared, a place you felt loved, and you had all that with them.