I Walk The Line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day's through
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine, I walk the line
——I Walk the Line, Johnny Cash

March 12, 2018

"Why don't you come to Portland this weekend?"

"Wha- huh?" was the best Rae could manage in response to Luke's question. 

"You're not doing anything.  Your mom is away," he pointed out.  "I'm finally getting to play and you won't be at most of my games.  Maybe your sister would even come down from Seattle."

Rae bit her lip.  Luke had played a lot in Salt Lake the night before, had led the team in scoring with 18 points.   They'd gotten obliterated by the Jazz, but she knew he was happy with his performance.

"I don't know, Luke," she started out.  It seemed awfully extravagant to just wing off to the other side of the country for a weekend.

As if he was reading her mind, Luke sighed. "Rae, we can afford it.  If you don't want to use your money, I'll make the arrangements."

"It's not just that," she said.  "I just - You're with all your teammates.  Won't I seem a little needy if I show up?"

"Of course not," Luke scoffed.  "WAGs travel all the time.  And I don't care if I seem needy.  I want to see you."

"Let me check with Olivia and see if she's willing to drive down to Portland on short notice," Rae huffed, deciding to ignore the WAG characterization for now.

"You do that," Luke grinned.  "And I'll handle the rest."

He disconnected a few minutes later and immediately made the arrangements, booking a flight and hotel and arranging a car. And he smiled. He couldn't wait to see her.  He was more anxious than she knew.

*****

Rae checked her email during her dinner break and found that Luke had, indeed, taken care of everything. All she had to do was get herself to the airport early on Saturday morning. She'd called her sister, who had been more than willing to make the three hour drive to Portland and had even told her that she'd pick her up at the airport, to have Luke cancel the car service.

Rae finally let herself get a little excited for the trip. She'd thought she wouldn't see Luke again for almost two weeks. And she was looking forward to time with Olivia.

*****
March 15, 2018

Luke was in Denver and had just enough time to watch Duke's opening round game before he needed to head to the arena to get ready for the game against the Nuggets and he'd told his teammates to leave him the hell alone. He propped himself up on the bed and got comfortable. But just as he settled in, there was a knock on the door. With a sigh, he pushed himself up and opened it, without even bothering to look through the peephole. 

The girl was wearing a dress that showed enough cleavage to render him temporarily speechless.  "I think you have the wrong room," Luke finally managed.

"Do I really?" she practically purred.  "Are you sure?  Because I'm a big fan and I'd say I have exactly the right room."