XXVII: Stargazing

Three days have passed since I filled Gelya in on everything that happened since our last meeting. In those three days, nothing seems to have stirred within the Woodland Realm or beyond it—it's sunk back into that strange quiet. It's just like how it was the day I read the diary, and that sets me on edge. I'm trying to avoid that memory at all costs.

In spite of my reluctance towards it at first, training with Thranduil has become something I actually look forward to. A certain pride and smugness has appeared about him, along with the happiness that illuminates his face whenever we speak of our training. He, too, has forgotten what I had forgotten until this morning: I said I would leave, and I have not done so yet.  I've been putting it off for days on end, because the prospect of going is becoming all too daunting.  Whether or not I go alone is up to Thranduil, but I will go nonetheless. 

I cannot help being afraid.

Then again, that is why Thranduil is teaching me, is it not?  So I don't have to be afraid.  If it weren't for me, Thranduil's indisputable skill would have taken him easily through that battle to emerge without a scratch.  If I stop being a liability, I could save not only myself but others who would risk their lives for me.  I didn't deserve to be saved; I have never deserved anything Thranduil did for me.

Stop it. He wouldn't want to see me thinking these thoughts. He knows if there's something up with me. If I can't stop for myself, I can at least stop for him.

Tomorrow, however, we need to be here, in this kingdom.  He told me a while ago that he liked to keep it as quiet and private as possible, but tomorrow is in fact Thranduil's begetting day—a day which I want to make absolutely perfect for him.

'I still can't believe you're getting combat lessons from King Thranduil. Well, actually I can, because it's you, and you're literally his other half, but it's still a massive privilege.' Gelya is sat leant against a broad tree, watching intently while I nock an arrow with surprising ease.

I find myself blushing, and I promptly release the arrow to distract myself, feeling deeply satisfied when it hits right beside the centre of the mark that Thranduil had first shown me. 'He's an excellent teacher. And I'm not just saying that.'

'Your ears are pink,' Gelya grins.

'And? I'm hot,' I say abruptly, focusing my attention on preparing for my next shot. I wasn't completely lying—the mere mention of Thranduil's name is enough to ignite a fire within me. Any time I spend with him is ruled by a blazing love, one which I cannot restrain no matter how hard I try. It's taken over me—he's taken over me.

Gelya bursts into rapturous applause when my second arrow meets the exact centre of the target. 'You'll have skill to rival the King soon! Maybe even better!'

'I appreciate the compliment, but Thranduil is exceptional at archery. His lack of prowess in the area is a mere rumour.'

'I always thought the Prince was the archer and the King was the swordsman,' she says innocently.

'Those are their weapons of choice, I'll give you that.'

'How are you with a sword?' Gelya continues eagerly.

'Better than I expected, but Thranduil still has to go easy on me,' I admit.

She smirks.  'Doesn't he have to go easy on everyone though?'

'That's true!' I laugh as I release another arrow, this one spinning off course and landing some way away.

'What was that?' Gelya giggles.