Chapter 17 ~The questions~

The day went on as usual with just more stares and whispers than normal. Tom and Julietta sat together in their first class but for the rest of the day, they sat with there perspective friend groups until potions. Now you see professor loved powerful people and what would be more powerful than the child of Julietta Goldwood and Tom Riddle. He like everyone else had seen their exchange this morning and was determined to play Cupid. So by the time potions had rolled around he was ready for the two.

The two walked into class separately giving only a nod to each other with no other signs that the two even knew of each other's existence. The lesson had started and everyone had begun brewing when the interrogation started. "So Tom my boy, what were you handing Miss Goldwood this morning at breakfast?" he asked, the question had been on everyone's mind and the class was about to get some answers. "Mr. Riddle was graciously returning my defense against the dark arts textbook. Why do you ask Professor?" Julietta questioned when she very well knew that he just wanted to know if they were an item like everyone else in the school.

"I was curious, now I must ask. Why did he have your textbook in the first place Miss Goldwood?" Julietta kept composed and quickly rebutted "We happen to share the same study space and I must have left it there by accident. Mr. Riddle was just doing me a kind favor like he would have done with any other student. He was just being a good prefect, I wouldn't look so far into it." This sounded a lot more threatening yet she didn't show any hostility. "Where is this study space?" Piped up a Hufflepuff from the other side of the room. Julietta wasn't expecting this question and her eyes caught Tom Riddles for a second.

They didn't need to exchange words as Julietta's bright violet eyes said it all. This was all the persuading Tom needed and he took over the defense of the two. You see he was a lot more aggressive and unlike Julietta, he wasn't as good at hiding it. He was still good but he let a little bit slip through the cracks when he said "There is an abandoned classroom that I study in sometimes. It seems great minds think alike as when I went there to study last night I walked in to find Goldwood packing up her things. We said a few simple greetings before she left and I began to do my homework. I simply noticed a book she must have dropped, I checked the name it the book, saw it was her's and returned it to her before our defense against the dark arts class. Now Chamber's you should check your caldron instead of worrying about my business as it is starting to boil over."

The boy turned around to see his caldron was indeed boiling over. This caused the class to laugh at the poor boy while Tom returned his wand to his pocket. Julietta saw this realizing that Tom caused this, unlike everyone who was too focused on laughing. She wasn't mad but she wasn't pleased either. Julietta and Tom finished miles before the rest of the class not that this surprised anyone at all. So they walked out with Slughorn's permission to leave. "You work well under pressure Julietta." Tom complimented and Julietta returned the compliment "As do you, Thomas. Thought it was rather cruel what you did to that nosy Hufflepuff. Despite that, I must applaud how well it was executed. I must also applaud how well you made up a study space. I hope you enjoyed how I fed your ego in there. Kind, graciously, and I made sure to bring up the fact you are a prefect." Laughter burst out of Tom and Julietta quickly joined in. "Well Julietta I would love to compliment you in front of our entire school but there are already enough rumors about the two of us flying around. I heard from Jane Brunestud that we are in fact engaged. So, Mrs. Riddle, would you like to go to our chamber." asked Tom and Julietta just laughed and nodded.

This became a common trend over the next few weeks. The two would often run into each other in the chamber. They would talk, read or do homework together. They truly enjoyed each others company and they were often seen wandering the halls of Hogwarts debating about some advanced magical theory. Other times it was more mundane topics like if dragon blood truly removed acne as people claimed or if it was just the natural healing powers dragon meat held. It made Dumbledore laugh to see two such clever teenagers to debate about dragon blood. The two couldn't help but be friends as they needed the presence of someone so intelligent. 

Unfortunately, this only spread more and more rumors about the two causing their friend groups to become rather suspicious of them. Tom told his Knights "I want to match with someone with my level of intelligence instead of spending my days with you imbeciles." Julietta took a much more kind approach when she explained to her friends her relationship. "We just talk about magical theories. No one ever fell in love over while debating the existence of Nargles." denied Julietta as she wasn't falling for Tom Riddle anytime soon. Jezebel laughed and rebutted "Well my 3rd cousin was Nargle hunting when he met his wife who is another Nargle enthusiast. So really Julietta this could be love." Julietta sighed while she shook her head at Jezebel's story. "Not helping Jezebel. Really not helping!" 

Slughorn had paired them together in class and other teachers were soon following suit. They worked extremely well together and they were as smart as one each other. It was obvious. Who else would you pair together? In potions, they would talk and work. They would be arguing about what kind of magic is more valuable, wandless or nonverbal, while they were brewing a Polyjuice Potion. They didn't need to talk through the steps or ask who is doing what. It all just came naturally to the two of them and they just gave a look if they had to say "Get the ingredients." or "You chop the leeches while I stir the cauldron,". They were so in sync with each other than talking was pointless and unnecessary.