Chapter 26 ~The Dogs~

Julietta was walking with her friends to the great hall. "We will win the cup again this year. Year seven is our year to kick ass. I am going to get good grades, win Quidditch, and get into a professional team by the end of it." said Jezebel as the friends sat down. "Bel you always kick butt in Quidditch, you never get good grades, and you are already being looked at by professional teams so calm down," said Maria trying to reason with Jezebel, she continued "Look some kids are made for the classroom, you aren't. You haven't stopped running around and fidgeting since I first met you. You just can sit still." It was true. Jezebel would make it in the world but not by studying then sitting in an office waiting for a taste of power. 

By the time the friends had finished breakfast, they were comparing schedules. "Hi, um Julietta Goldwood. We have potions together." said a young boy with a large bouquet of flowers. "Yes, you sit on the table closest to the door and Slughorn likes you because your uncle works at the ministry," commented Julietta while not even sparing the boy a glance. "I like you." said the boy and she answered, "I think you are tolerable as I don't make opinions on whether or not I like or hate people until I get to know them. You see Eileen I have gotten to know you and I have decided I hate you." Eileen raised an eyebrow and said, "Did you know that you aren't funny, Julietta."  Everyone laughed at the two girls banter while the boy stood there awkwardly.

"No, I mean that I want to date you." said the boy and a silence filled the friend group. They all knew it was coming but they hoped he would take a hint. On the other side of the room, Tom watched the interaction with hatred for a boy he didn't know. His despise for this teenager ran deep through his veins. Normally he would be able to cope with the people who asked Julietta out. Last year he watched guys ask her out and he didn't have a choice. Over the holidays he had gotten used to her being his. He had gotten used to the fact that he didn't have to share her. Being well aware of his mistake of getting too comfortable but he didn't care. He tried to rein it in but he couldn't. 

Tom stood up and made his way over to the Ravenclaw table where Julietta sat. As he stood in front of the poor boy his flowers whithered away. The boy who liked Julietta soon scurred away while Tom held his hand out for Julietta. As her hand was placed in his, he pulled her up from the chair. Her face was only centimeters from his as he put his hand on the small of her back. Gasps and whispers filled the room as Tom led Julietta out of the room. "Is this wise Tom?" asked Julietta and Tom answered "I don't care. I couldn't bear to watch this charade anymore. You are mine and I am yours, these children need to understand this. I am sick of watching people attempt to get us." Julietta gave a slight nod that indicated that she understood. 

Soon they got to their shared potions class where they were greeted by an excited Slughorn. Their professor like everyone else had seen what had happened at breakfast. "So my two favorite students have finally come together. When is the wedding?" asked Slughorn as the rest of the class filtered through the door and watched the exchange. "If we do get married, which I doubt as how often do young adult relationships last, it would be a small private ceremony without any bells and whistles. Though I am sure if there was one you would be invited." Tom smoothly lied. First of all, he knew for a fact that he wouldn't break up with Julietta and they would last. Second, he knew that when they did get married they would have a private ceremony with two witnesses and an efficient.

From the corner of the room, the boy who had been rejected by Julietta was sending daggers into the back of Tom. Half the kids in the school would hurt someone to fill the shoes of one of them so they could have the other. The two most attractive and smart students in the school had gotten together making everyone jealous.  People were making bets as they walked through the halls as to how long they would last. They became the talk of the school. Not that they weren't always the talk of the school. Since they confirmed it in posions class, the news had spread. Before the touch made them even more suspicious but thanks to the confirmation everyone knew by the time the second period had started.

"Thomas, was that really a smart choice? How do you lack self-control but only when it comes to me?" asked Julietta as the two sat in the chamber. "I'm not just going to stand there and watch while people try to get at you like dogs who want their dinner." said Tom and Julietta answered "You are too overprotective. One day I will be your downfall. They will use me to get to you and then they will have you." Tom scowled at the thought of someone getting to him especially through her. "They don't understand. They are too dumb to think of it. You are the only person who understands me and the only person who could get to me." Julietta shook her head. "One day those words will be your death. If we were a little smarter we would have ignored each other. Those small smiles and quick conversations shouldn't have happened. We would have pretended to be complete strangers in the world." said Julietta and Tom answered, "So maybe we aren't as smart as people think we are."