CH.2

"I think that's all of 'em! Release the ropes!" Called an Officer to the medical boat.

"Sir, wait!" I yelled.

Men began to untie the ropes at the front of the boat. However, there was still a ramp near the back that allowed access to the ship.

"Hurry, get him on." The Officer said as we came into view.

Tommy and the other young soldier brought Ronald onto the boat and placed him down in an open space.

"Now you two." Said a doctor while pointing at them. "Off you get. This boat is for the injured only."

The two of them got off and stood by me, not knowing where exactly to go.

The men were about to untie the rest of the ropes that bound the boat to the dock when there was the sound of a roaring engine in the sky. Everyone looked up to see a German bomber plane closing in on the dock. Following it was a Spitfire, rapidly firing bullets at the German plane. The bomber was able to drop three shells before being gunned down by the Spitfire.

Two bombs hit the dock further back towards the beach and one hit the medical boat right beside me. However, that hit was enough to make the boat start to take in water.

"She's going down!" Someone hollered from the deck of the boat.

I then heard my father's voice. "Cut her loose!"

"Other boats won't be able to come near the dock if she sinks here!" Another voice yelled. It must have been Commander Bolton.

Men rushed towards the ropes, untying all of them and attempting to push the boat away. The attempt was successful, and the boat slowly started to drift away from us. Group after group of soldiers jumped off of the boat into the waters below. They swam for the dock and began climbing up. One soldier was climbing the railing where I stood and his foot slipped. I quickly reached and grabbed his hands before he plunged into the salty water.

I pulled him over the railing and helped him regain his balance.

"Thanks." He said.

"Of course." I told him.

He adjusted his life jacket. "I'm Alex."

"Middleton." I replied. "Bailey Middleton."

"Lovely name." He commented.

"Let's find you fellows another boat!" I heard my father yell over the crowd.

The men from the sunken medical boat began to pile onto a transfer boat. Tommy, the other soldier that helped carry Ronald, and Alex were making their way towards the small boat. I followed them to ensure that they got on safely. Once I reached the edge of the dock, I felt a hand on my arm. I turned around to come face to face with my father.

"Bailey, please get on the boat." He instructed.

"But, father, I need to stay here and help." I said.

"No," he replied. "The Germans are closing in around us and I do not want you here any longer. I would never forgive myself if something happened. I already lost your mother, you're all I have left."

I let out a sigh. "But father I'm a nurse. They need me here."

"Please." He begged me. "Go."

"Fine." I agreed. "But promise me you'll come home."

"I promise." With that, he kissed me on the top of my head and I threw my arms around him.

I let go and he went back to where Commander Bolton was standing. I lowered myself off of the dock and onto the transfer boat, standing by the three soldiers I somewhat knew.

Once we all unloaded onto the large boat, Tommy, Alex, and I went below deck where everyone else was heading. I turned my head slightly to see the soldier I did not yet know the name of slip past the door and stay on the deck.

Tommy, Alex, and I grabbed toast with jam from a table where a couple nurses were serving food. We ate quickly and quietly, observing that every other soldier was doing the same.

"Where's your friend?" Alex asked when he finished.

Tommy looked at me and then looked around us.

I pointed towards the door. "He didn't come down. I saw him pass by the door and stay on deck."

"He's looking for a quick way out." Tommy answered. "In case we get bombed."

As if on cue, there was a roar of an engine of a German plane coming from outside. Everyone started panicking and looking around. After a few seconds, there was gunfire which was followed by a crashing sound. The German bomber had been gunned down.

Cheers erupted and everyone continued eating and talking with one another. However, after that close call, Tommy, Alex, and I got as close to the door as possible. Tommy and I grabbed life jackets on our way and put them on.

I was very thankful that we did because only minutes later, a torpedo penetrated the side of the boat. Water began flowing through a large hole and filling up the room we were all in. Everyone was being tossed around by the water force, and there was no shortage of shouting and screaming.

After a few short moments, everyone was submerged in the water. My lungs were screaming at me for air but I did not see anywhere to escape. I was about to pass out from the lack of oxygen when a beam of light appeared. Someone had opened the door.

I felt two pairs of hands grasp onto mine, and they pulled me towards the door. I looked to either side of me to see Alex and Tommy. The three of us made it out the door and broke the surface of the water.

I let my life jacket keep me afloat on the surface while I desperately tried to catch my breath. The unknown soldier that tagged along with us swam over to where we were.

The four of us then swam over to a life boat, where a couple of the soldiers threw a rope in the water for us to hang onto.

"There's not enough room up here. We'll sink if you get on." One of them told us, answering my unspoken question.

The four of us hung onto the rope and we were pulled through the water by the life boat. What we did not realize is that we were heading back to Dunkirk beach.