CH.7

I woke up in my room. Sunlight was pouring in through the window and I could slightly hear the waves from the ocean. I looked down to see that I was still wearing my medical uniform from yesterday. That then triggered my memory. Didn't I fall asleep on the couch last night?

I went over to my closet and got dressed in black capris pants and a white blouse. I fixed my hair into a loose bun and headed to my bathroom to wash my face. Once I was done, I headed downstairs towards the kitchen.

Upon my arrival, I found Collins, Alex, and Tommy sitting at the table drinking coffee.

"Sorry love you weren't up yet and we needed our caffeine." Alex laughed.

I laughed with him. "Oh no it's perfectly alright. Also, which one of you brought me up to my room last night?"

Tommy raised his hand. "That would be me. The couch just didn't look comfortable so I decided to move you."

"Well, thank you." I told him, blushing slightly.

I then went to the front door to get the newspaper. I read the headline and instantly became annoyed.

Collins had put a cup of coffee in the empty spot at the table so I came back and sat in front of it. I then threw the newspaper onto the table.

"Look at this. Look at this headline." I said, then took a sip of coffee.

Collins took the newspaper and held it up. "Evacuation at Dunkirk is A Military Disaster."

"Ridiculous. Churchill isn't at Dunkirk he doesn't understand what we went through. How dare he accuse us of this. The whole thing should've been planned better then." Alex spewed.

"Agreed." Tommy added.

Collins flipped the page and his eyes widened. "Look, it's that boy from the boat. George is it?"

I took the paper from him and looked at the small news column. "Yes, that's George. He made it into the local paper just like he always wanted."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I stood up and ran over to it. When I opened it, I was greeted by Mr. Dawson and Peter. I welcomed them in and brought them into the kitchen.

"George is in the paper." I told Peter. "And they called him a hero."

Peter smiled. "I know. I went over to the paper office and gave them a picture of George and asked them to write an article about him."

Mr. Dawson had brought breakfast over and we all ate together. We talked and laughed all into the late afternoon. Then, Mr. Dawson and Peter wanted to head home. Collins, Tommy, Alex, and I walked out of my flat with them and were saying goodbye on the street.

That was when I saw a figure walking towards us just down the road. He had an officer's uniform on and was walking at a brisk pace. That was when I realized who it was.

"Bailey!" My father yelled from down the street.

"Father!" I yelled back.

I took off running and jumped into his arms. "Thank God you came back. I was so worried about you."

"I was worried about you Bailey. I didn't know if you'd make it back here. But you did." He said, smiling.

I got out of his arms and stood in front of him. "How were you able to come back so early? We just got there yesterday morning."

He began to continue walking towards our flat once more and I walked beside him. "We pretty much evacuated every man off of that beach. Our job was done, we could go home. Commander Bolton decided to stay for the French, and I was going to stay with him, but he told me to come home to you."

My father stopped in front of our flat and looked at the soldiers, Mr. Dawson, and Peter who were standing there.

"I see you've met some friends then?" He commented.

"Yes." I replied, turning to them. "This is my father, Officer Middleton."

Collins, Alex, and Tommy all put their hands to their foreheads in salute.

My father laughed. "No need for that boys."

I began to point at each of them. "Father, this is Collins, Alex, Tommy, Mr. Dawson, and Peter."

"Pleasure to meet all of you." My father told them.

"You as well, Mr. Middleton." Mr. Dawson responded.

My father smiled. "Please, call me Benjamin."

"Will do." Mr. Dawson commented. "Well, my boy and I were just heading home. We live just down the street here. Come visit us whenever you'd like."

My father shook his and Peter's hands. "Thank you."

The two of them headed off leaving Collins, Alex, and Tommy standing there.

"What about you boys?" My father asked them.

"They didn't have anyone to go home to so I let them stay here last night." I explained.

"We can go if it's not convenient for you." Alex suggested.

My father shook his head. "No, you're welcome here. Stay as long as you need. Stay here forever, I really don't mind. We need company anyways."

"Thank you so much." Tommy smiled.

"Of course." My father said.

We all went inside and my father began to make dinner. Once that was finished, we all sat down and ate.

"You boys probably want your belongings from home, no?" My father inquired.

"Yes," Collins replied between bites. "That would be nice."

Tommy and Alex nodded their heads.

"What do you say we all go travelling to each of your homes tomorrow to get your things?" My father suggested.

"That's a great idea. I'm up for it." Alex smiled.

"Then it's settled." My father announced. "Tomorrow morning be up early because we have a busy day ahead of us!"

On that note, we all finished dinner and headed to bed. My father moved into my room with me so Collins, Tommy, and Alex could each have their own separate bedrooms.

I was glad that I had made some friends at Dunkirk. Through the hardest of times, there's always hope. The civilians who came on their boats yesterday were a miracle. They were, the miracle.