Chapter XVI

-Avery-

Could you hear my heart beat frantically?

Because, I sure could.

I stood there speechless, breathless and, well, everything-less. It took me all of my courage just to keep looking into her eyes which, by the way, glimmered with so much fierce and boldness - the very traits which I lacked of at this moment.

From everything that I thought Isabella would say to me, I would have never imagined her to ask me to kiss her. We were just friends — that's what I've always seen our relationship as. I didn't know whether the scary part was her asking me to kiss her or that I was actually considering it. It must be the boxers talking because it certainly wasn't me.

I was still looking into her eyes, trying to find answers to the many questions fused by this encounter. I was thinking that, out of luck, I could find answers in that pool of blue.

Maybe she had hit her head? Maybe she was dared to do this? I reasoned. I was still not convinced that she would do this at her own will. It just didn't seem like her. She would never just do something like this without a plausible explanation and I couldn't simply  submit to her without knowing what the cause was.

On the other hand, if anyone had asked me to do the same, I would have immediately said no. I had no idea why she was different. Maybe it was the confident aura that she was projecting which locked me in place, making me unsure of what to do next.

Even with the intense degree of danger that I was getting from her, there was innocence displayed on her face. Again, I felt excited and confused - I've been feeling those two emotions a lot lately and always because of the same person.

"So what is it?" Isabella leaned back. She licked the bottom of her pink luscious lips, which were covered in glittery lipgloss, in a very chilling way (in a good way... or not). "Are you going to do it or chicken out. I can't simply sit here all day waiting for you, David."

In some way, it didn't sound like she was talking about the kiss anymore. But what other thing could she possibly be talking about?

I diverted my gaze towards the windows. I needed to look at something else other than the daring girl in front of me or I would lose my head.

I heard her scoff when I did that. Her soft hands cupped my right cheek and gently made me look back at her. "Look at me." She breathed out as if I had a choice. "Are you scared?" She asked again. The same question which lead me to be in such a state of confusion.

Was I scared? Yes, actually I was. But not at her.

I was scared of myself and what I could have done if I was just a little bit closer to her face.

"Why are you doing this, Isabella?" I felt like I had asked that question for the millionth time however never gotten the answer I needed.

She giggled at my question, she patted the area under her eye as if getting a tear. I scrunched up my face - what was so funny? "You're scared, David. Admit it. This isn't about me anymore."

"Then what is it about?" I pulled myself closer to her, I thought it would be much harder now that this tension had been built but it wasn't. "Was it about last night?"

She lowered her gaze as if pondering about my question and then lifted her head back up. "This is definitely not about last night. What we did last night - - was nothing and meant nothing." She seemed hesitant as she ended her sentence. A frown tugged onto my lips, I was relieved that she didn't view it the way I was beginning to think she was but at the same time, I felt saddened. But why would I be, anyways? "I guess, you're just stalling. If you truly aren't afraid then kiss me, now."