10

Sam

Google search: curses

"Magic spells which are placed upon people with the intention of harming them. The misfortune intended by curses can range from illness, and harm, to even death. Curses are declared to be the most dreaded form of magic, often called black magic, and are believed to be universally used. The principle purposes for them to be "laid" or "thrown" are for revenge, and also for protection of homes, treasures and grave sites. Curses can become effective immediately or may be dormant for years. Curses laid on families have been known to have plagued them for generations."

•••

I was throwing rocks at Millie's window.

If someone had asked me, right then, Sam White, what do you think you're doing? I wouldn't have had an answer. Honestly.

It was five A.M., the sun was hidden behind the clouds, and I was wide awake and full of questions.

I'd waited a full day after the fight between my mom and Brandon's mom, Bridget, and my late-night car-conversation with Brandon. The day had been spent with my laptop, fruitless Google searches that did nothing but make me nauseas with all these possibilities, and texting Brandon nonstop. It hadn't been until the eighth time I'd locked myself in my bathroom because I was questioning my sanity, once again, before I'd realized I had to talk to Millie.

I lobbed another rock up at Millie's window, wincing at the crack that resonated through the quiet neighborhood. I knew I hadn't broken her window, but I was making a hell of a lot of noise and there was no way she could still be sleeping.

I took a few steps back until I pressed against the fence separating her backyard from her neighbors'. The light in her bedroom was definitely on. She was either not in her room, or ignoring me.

I tossed a handful of pebbles this time. I was not going to let this go. If Millie wouldn't answer my calls or texts, or the rocks at her window, I'd walk right up to her front door and demand she tell me what the hell was going on.

I was so done, so tired of being left in the dark.

Brandon hadn't been able to help me: he'd skirted all my questions and calls and texts, responding "ask Millie" or "it's not my place to tell you" each time. I knew he regretted saying anything, and he was now making up for it by refusing to tell me Millie's secret.

And if this was real, if Brandon wasn't just fucking with me, if I'd heard the conversation between our moms correctly, I was freaking out. While my Google searches were pretty unhelpful on anything that had to do with Millie Clearwater and her family, they had managed to do one thing: terrify me.

One site had said that a curse laid on families could last years, and were used to cause harm. The idea of "black magic" had even been thrown around in more than one website, and those two words put together were enough to set the hairs all along my body stand on end.

I'd even googled the Clearwaters themselves and, just like the rumors said, Millie wasn't the first Clearwater girl to be involved in a mysterious accident.

Irritation flashed through me, and I yanked my phone out of my pocket. I was terrified for her, scared of this "curse" being a real, tangible thing, and she couldn't even talk to me for a few minutes and explain?

Sam White: stop fucking ignoring me

Sam White: I can see that your light is on!

Sam White: come down! We need to talk