15

Hey guys! I haven't posted in a while... Sorry about that. But recently a few people voted on previous chapters so I figured I'd update, since I had this written already. Truthfully I have most of the book written and I know what the ending will be, I just lost my steam a little. Sorry guys! :-) remember to vote and comment.

Sam

When Millie walked in the front door, I was sitting on the couch with Clea and Angel. Drew was on the recliner with his arms crossed over his chest while Daphne perched on the arm of the chair.

Millie stopped short when she saw me, her eyes growing wide as saucers. Behind her, Brandon stared at me blankly, barely looking surprised to see me in Millie's house, even though I was shocked to see him standing there.

"Hey, little sis," Clea said, crossing her legs and smiling. "It looks like we've got a full house."

Millie stared at me. "Why are you here?"

I grimaced. "Wow, what a warm welcome. I'm flattered."

"No, I didn't mean —" Millie closed her eyes briefly before forcing them open. "Actually, I did mean that. Why are you here? I thought I told you —"

"You didn't tell me anything," I interrupted and stood up. Clea shifted and rested her chin in her hand, amusement flickering across her face as I squared off against Millie. "You've kept me at a distance since the accident and I had to find out on my own that I'm going to —" I stopped, unable to say die and stepped forward. "You didn't tell me you were cursed."

Millie jerked back like I'd slapped her, her face instantly heating. I couldn't tell if she was more angry or guilty, but both emotions were present in her gaze. 

"I —" Millie's voice trembled and she shook her head quickly, tilting her jaw at me. "What good would it have done? You'd just get upset and you wouldn't have believed me, and it would be pointless."

"Pointless? You think warning me that I'm going to die would be pointless?" I didn't want to yell, but I couldn't help myself. The anger that had been festering since talking to Clea earlier seemed to be bubbling over.

"I'm sorry, okay? But you don't understand how hard this is. I just thought —"

"No," I interrupted her again, "you didn't think! If you had thought, even a little, you would've realized that this isn't just about you. You aren't the only one who stands to get hurt here. You purposefully kept me in the dark and didn't even think about what that would mean for me."

I was so confused. I thought I liked Millie, but I wasn't sure anymore. She'd left me high and dry in the end. How was I supposed to like someone who had been so willing to lie to me about something so serious?

I stared at her. It was one thing, I thought, to keep small secrets from me. To keep her distance. But it was another thing to not tell me I was going to die. To mess with my life like this. 

"Hey, dude, back off." Brandon held his hand out toward me. "Give her a break, okay?"

Brandon's comment just further pissed me off. "No. She doesn't deserve a break. She deserves to get called out, and I deserve the truth."

Millie opened her mouth and then snapped it shut, pressing her lips together. She let her gaze slide past me when it became apparent she was unable to formulate a reply to me. "Clea? Angel? Hello? Why would you guys tell him?"

Drew sighed, annoyed, and threw his hands in the air. "We didn't! He came here and already knew something was happening."

Brandon coughed. "Sorry, Millie. I didn't think he'd go to your family. I just thought he'd egg your house or something. That's what I'd do, I mean." He looked at me. "I can't believe you tattled."