18

~ wow I'm bad at updating... But I promise to try and be better? The worst part is that I am SOOOO close to finishing this book. I'm just bad at updating. Sorry! ~ (also comment some of your suspiciouns about what you think is going on here!) 

Bridget Smith hated Millie.

Millie wasn't usually one to cower in fear, but something about the heat in Bridget's gaze had Millie fidgeting. Maybe it was because Bridget was a witch and, therefore, had more magic than Millie could comprehend or maybe it was because Bridget was obviously someone important to Sam, she wasn't sure.

Noticing Brandon's curious gaze on her, Millie straightened her spine and scooted away from Sam. He shot her a relieved look — which did nothing to alleviate her guilt — before returning his gaze to Bridget.

Fake it 'till you make it, Millie thought with a fierce determination and schooled her features into a mask of indifference. Even if Bridget scared the crap out of her, she was going to pretend she was untouched by the woman's burning gaze. She'd been wearing a cool façade of nonchalance her whole life. She was sure she could manage to maintain it during the conversation.

"I don't want to die, if that's what you mean," Sam said to Bridget, rolling his eyes slightly.  "So, yes, we would like to break this stupid curse."

"Hmm." Bridget tapped darkly painted nails against her lips. 

Unable to stave off her curiosity, Millie asked, "How do you know about Moira?"

"And who is Moira?" Sam put in, huffing.

Bridget looked back and forth between the two teens on her couch. "Well, first of all, Sam, Moira is Millie's ancestor. If you want to play the blame-game, she's one of the causing factors of this curse." Hearing that, Millie straightened, immediately defensive. Before she could offer a rebuttal, though, Bridget spoke again. "I know a lot about Millie's ancestry line. Actually, I know a lot about everyone's ancestry."

Millie frowned. "What does that mean?"

Brandon sat forward, suddenly joining the conversation. "She's a Seer."

"A Seer?" Sam repeated, looking even more confused than before. Millie felt the same way.

"Some Seers can see the future," Bridget explained, "or other present moments, but I can see the past."

"Whoa," Sam whispered.

Suddenly, Millie understood why Miss Tully had sent her to Bridget. "That's how you know so much about my curse, right? You've seen the past and you saw what happened."

Bridget smiled thinly, as if she was fighting the pride she felt that Millie had gotten to the truth so quickly. "Right. When I started developing my abilities,  I would get these weird dreams of a girl that looked just like you, Millie. At first, I didn't understand them, but after a while . . . Well, let's just say that I got the hang of time surfing. I saw almost everything that happened leading up to the curse put on your family, and I saw the actual curse happen."

"So, does that mean you know how to break the curse, then?" Sam asked.

"Not exactly." Bridget glanced at Brandon, who looked away. "We, in theory, know how to do it, but there's more to it than just what we know."

"But is it doable?" Millie pressed.

Bridget nodded. "With some time and effort, we could definitely break the curse."

"But at what cost?" Brandon hissed at his mother.

She returned his gaze and shook her head. "We talked about this."