II: Small Talk

TWO DAYS HAD PASSED SINCE Ebonee had last seen Klaus. She had managed to eat half of Alaric's food and bake cupcakes for her and Katherine to share. They were vanilla cupcakes with vanilla icing, but Ebonee decorated them to make them look more interesting. Damon and Andie stopped by to give Katherine some vervain, which was like acid to vampires, but also prevented compulsion. She didn't know exactly what they were trying to do and why, so she mostly stayed in Alaric's bedroom when Damon and Andie showed; she didn't want to have to lie to Klaus. Eventually, after playing many card games with Katherine, came another knock on the door, so Ebonee opened it without hesitation.

"Stefan? What're you doing here?" She asked, stepping back to let him in. Alaric said he could, so Stefan walked inside. The strawberry blonde lit up at the sight of Alaric, giving him a big hug before he tried to get her to leave with him.

"Come on, Ebbs, let's get you out of here." Alaric grabbed her hand and tried to pull her out the door. She shook her head.

"I don't want to leave, Ric."

"I'll take care of her. Get out of here." Stefan told him, turning back to the redhead. The broody vampire grabbed Ebonee's hands and looked her up and down to ensure she wasn't injured or harmed in any way. "Ebonee, you need to leave right now." Stefan tried to compel her, surprised to see the innocent woman with such evil company.

"No. I'm waiting for Klaus to get back." Ebonee responded, not skipping a beat and hugging Stefan quickly. She wondered what he was so worried about. She hadn't been hurt by Klaus or Katherine at all. She actually enjoyed the time she spent with Katherine and what little time she spent with Klaus.

"Katherine, has she been compelled?" Katherine shook her head slowly with a smirk, causing Stefan to furrow his eyebrows in confusion.

"Not even to calm her." The doppelganger said with boredom quite evident in her tone.

"Klaus won't hurt me, Stefan. He's actually been really kind and considerate to me." He only shook his head in disappointment at the woman's naïve nature and started talking to Katherine. Of course he was worried about Ebonee, but he'd find a way to help her later; Damon was dying. Ebonee watched Stefan and Katherine speak, too upset about her newfound knowledge of Damon's fate to pay attention. She felt that she should have done something, anything to save him. She was busy trying to think of loopholes or possible cures that could help Damon when keys jingled at the door, and Katherine slammed Stefan into the wall, hoping Klaus would be pleased with her. The door opened as Elijah and Klaus walked inside.

"Elijah!" The strawberry blonde shouted excitedly. She ran to him and gave him a surprisingly tight hug, for she felt that she hadn't seen him in years. He hugged her back, a smile coming to his face at her actions. She had always seemed to make anyone and everyone smile, despite the bad day they could be having.

The pair didn't notice Klaus giving Elijah a murderous glare for holding Ebonee so closely. Stefan glared as well, upset that not only one, but two psychos were both evidently close with his defenseless and innocent friend. Ebonee pulled away from her best friend and noticed Stefan's current position.

"Come on, Kat, really? He's obviously not a threat to anyone here, let him down." Surprising everyone else in the room, including Katherine, the brunette did as she was told. Little did they know, the innocent persona of the human had grown on the dangerous doppelganger. "Thank you."