Chapter Four

Malfoy Manor, Somewhere in Wiltshire

Dolohov had a fairly clear idea of who the Gringotts thief was, and he had been ecstatic to report it to Riddle. Quirinus Quirrell, a talented young wizard who had studied in Albania until the Wizarding War came to a deadlock. He had attempted to apply for posts in several schools and official posts, and after being rejected continuously for his lack of social skills and communication, he had taken to petty thievery and black-market dealings.

Riddle was now sure that Quirrell had somehow managed to enter Hogwarts undetected, and smuggle a mountain troll from Albania. The youth was certainly talented. But that didn't explain what Snape had to do with the Stone.

"Antosha, what of Severus? Is he under your orders to help Quirrell, or to retrieve the stone?"

"No, My Lord. Snape seems a very passive character in this war. We haven't had contact with him in years. It is unclear if he has jumped ship." Dolohov replied, making a mental note to look upon the matter. He added suddenly, "I remember now, Severus Snape was the one who told us about the prophecy." Riddle's eyes widened as realisation dawned on him.

Lily Evans.

"It seemed to me that he's quite comfortable under Dumbledore's wing. Are you sure he's not spying for us?" Riddle frowned. Snape was a valuable pawn, and if he had switched sides, it was going to be a problem. Dolohov shook his head, contemplating whether to dispose of Severus Snape.

Abraxas stirred in his sleep. Riddle furrowed his brows, the Malfoy seemed to be in pain. It was amusing that through years of plotting and conspiring together, making grand plans to take over the world, he had come to consider Abraxas Malfoy and Antonin Dolohov his friends...

No! What was he thinking about? The Dark Lord does not have friends. Perhaps, being around kids for too long had rotted his brains.

But still, he very much desired to restore Abraxas to full health.

* * *

Hogwarts Castle, the Scottish Highlands

Christmas was a foul season. Everyone got presents but him. It always put Riddle in a bad mood. He stormed into the library and shut himself behind dusty tomes. The Mirror of Erised had been taken out of the Room of Requirement, and Riddle needed to know what plans Dumbledore had for it.

He was busying himself in the Restricted section, and did not realise it was past curfew, well into midnight. Suddenly, there were footsteps, and out of instinct, he cast a Disillusionment charm on himself and waited. A mysterious, disembodied hand floated in with a lantern, and reached out for a book. Riddle tensed, knowing the nature of the book. He grabbed the hand, and whoever it was, screamed. The book fell open and wailed shrilly. He heard Peeves flying over to add fuel to the fire, and dropped the disillusionment charm.

"Professor Riddle?" A voice gasped. It was Potter, and his invisibility cloak fell off.

"Students! Students in the Restricted section! Naughty, naughty, you got caughty~ Professor Snape, they're here!" Peeves sang.

Riddle didn't waste any time, he seized Harry and bolted. If Snape was Dumbledore's spy, he had to be very careful. That annoyance of a Headmaster was waiting for a chance to oust him from the school. Harry seemed to have figured that the professor was as much of a fugitive as he was, and threw the invisibility cloak over both of them.

Snape and Filch seemed to be heading their way, so Harry pulled Riddle into an abandoned Charms classroom and waited for the footfalls to fade. Both hearts pounded wildly, waiting for each other to ask the big questions: 'Why were you there?' and 'Why did you flee?'