Chapter Thirteen

Hogwarts Castle, the Scottish Highlands

Another weekend had arrived and Tom M. Riddle was chatting leisurely with Regulus Black over a cup of dandelion root tea. He grimaced, and the young Black laughed, saying it was an acquired taste.

"I really am grateful, you know. For getting me out of the Dark Lord's followers." He frowned at the Dark Mark that was slightly visible through his sleeves. "For this life of ease I'm living in, searching for the city of Sphinxes in Egypt and whatnot..."

"Nonsense, you have Abraxas to thank for that." Riddle sipped his tea nonchalantly.

"Only because you told Mr Malfoy to. He was quite excited to hear that I wanted to be an adventurer."

"Abraxas wanted to be, too. But being the only child and heir to a prominent Wizarding aristocratic family is not quite liberating, isn't it?" Riddle sighed. "But he seems to be enjoying himself. That's one of his most striking traits, he could always breeze through whatever challenge he came across." Riddle smiled fondly, remembering how the blonde used to be, in school. "After hearing about your exploits, I assumed you were a hoax, like that Lockhart, but I see you are genuine." He gave his old student a proud smile.

There was hurried knocking on the door. It was the Weasley twins, with armfuls of bottles. "We'd better hurry, Professor Riddle, because-" They ran to their cauldron, adding a bulbous violet-coloured root and stirring.

"-the Ministry hag is sacking Firenze as we speak." Fred Weasley said.

"But we won't let her. We've perfected our new poltergeist-based fireworks with some help from Peeves, and it only has to be bottled." George added, filling the vessels one by one. Riddle leant casually against the bookshelf, watching them. He didn't care much for that centaur, but the desire to thwart Umbridge kept poking his conscience. Regulus was just as amused, the young adventurer's gaze riveted by the twins.

"Your new favourites, Professor?" He asked. Riddle nodded slightly, and watched the two Weasleys turn the very shade of their hair. Fred spilled a bit of the Popping Poltergeist Potion on his sleeve, and it exploded, creating a miniscule poltergeist. Riddle immobilised it before it could wreck the laboratory. It was then that he saw faint red scars on the twins' forearms.

"What's this?" He asked sharply as he flicked his wand and rolled their sleeves up. Regulus frowned.

"It's a scar from a dark artefact." The adventurer said. Riddle wondered if the artefact Lucius had placed in the school had fallen into the hands of the twins.

"Actually, it's from detention with Umbridge." George said, trying to pull his sleeve down. Riddle froze, his hands going numb. Black Quills? Hot fury seared through his cold body, blinding him in his ire. The next moment, the professor was gone, flying out of his window, letting his magic fill the air and locate Umbridge.

He reached the castle grounds, outside the Entrance Hall, where several students surrounded the Divination Professor, mostly crying or looking sympathetic. The Senior Undersecretary was reading from yet another educational decree, a smug expression on her face. McGonagall was consoling the centaur, telling him they would ensure his safety.

"...half-giant, letting a dangerous and wild creature into the castle grounds and compromising the safety of the students. Followed by yet another half-breed, a centaur, a breed known for the violence in their hordes. Such an act cannot be overlooked by the Ministry, and thereby, under the Educational Decree Number Thirty-Three, the vicious beast shall be removed from the castle and its surroundings."

Riddle stormed up to her, and students parted as they felt the waves of his fury think in the air, suffocating with overflowing magic. "The only vicious beast here is you." He said in a monotone, devoid of emotion and radiating danger. The next moment, his wand was up, firing Reducto after Reducto at the High Inquisitor. She ducked for cover, attempting to protect herself with a short and stubby wand.