The Best Headmistress

Esmerelda knocked on Miss Cackle's door tentatively. She heard rustling inside and took a step back as the door opened.

    "Esmerelda! What are you doing here? Well met. Come in! It's so good to see you." Miss Cackle stepped away from the door and flipped the light on.

    "Well met Miss Cackle. Ethel was disappointed she missed me last time, so I came to see her."

"At two in the morning?" Miss Cackle inquired.

"Well, it's a long story, but that doesn't matter. I have something to show you." she lifted her cloak to reveal the Founding Stone.

"How on earth did you get that?" she gasped. Miss Cackle took the Founding Stone from Esmerelda and carefully inspected it.

"I.. I found it." Esmerelda said quietly.

"Found it? Ah. Esme. You always were a terrible liar." Miss Cackle smiled sadly at the young girl. She admired the girls loyalty, but this time Ethel's antics had gone too far. "Found it in Ethel's room, I presume."

"No. I mean, well, I don't think she meant any harm. She was just trying to help. I swear. I don't know how she got it. But she thought, I guess, that maybe.." she trailed off.

"Thought what?"

"She was trying to restore my powers." Esmerelda looked down, her voice faltering.

"Restore your.. Of course. I should of known. Since you are here, I take it she failed." Miss Cackle looked sympathetically at Esme.

"I wouldn't let her. I couldn't. Not at the price of the school. I promised her I wouldn't tell. She's going to be so mad at me." Esmerelda's voice broke again.

"Oh Esme. You are such a good sister." Miss Cackle set down the Founding Stone on its pedestal in the corner, and turned back to Esmerelda. "She won't be mad. You didn't tell me, I figured it out, right?"

"Well, technically, yeah. But she has always been able to sense things like this. I've been so worried about my magic that I haven't been there for my sisters. Plus my parents are so occupied with me that Sybil and Ethel are forgotten. They are just as talented I am. Or, I was, I guess."

"Esmerelda. You have always been so modest." Miss Cackle grasped Esme's hands and held them tight. "Your sisters are strong. You shouldn't worry about them. Just worry about you. OK?" Esmerelda nodded. "Now, about the Founding Stone. I'm sure we can just find it in the broom closet and the mystery will be solved. Alright? How about you stay here until morning. I can contact your parents so we won't have another incident like last time. There's an extra bedroom by Sybil's. We can announce the good news tomorrow at breakfast. You should get some sleep." Miss Cackle took Esmerelda's arm, leading her out the door and down the hall. As they reached to door, Esme turned back to her former teacher. They looked at each other for a minute, then embraced, and the younger girl finally let her tears fall. "Esme, it's alright to cry. One day, everything will feel normal again. One day, everything will be simpler. Oh, my child. Not a day goes by where I don't miss seeing your face in the corridors." The stood for a long while, the silence only broken by soft sniffles from Esmerelda. Finally Esme pulled away and wiped away her tears.

"Thank you Miss Cackle. For everything. I owe you everything." Miss Cackle looked sadly at her.
    "As do I. You have taught me perhaps as much as I have taught you. Now, you should probably go to bed. We have a big day tomorrow." Miss Cackle ran her hand up Esme's arm, and smiled gently at her. Esmerelda smiled back and opened the door. As she entered the room, she turned back to Miss Cackle.

"Well, goodnight."

"Goodnight Esmerelda." Miss Cackle replied.

Esmerelda shut the door slowly and sat on the bed quietly. On the other side of the door, Miss Cackle took a deep breath and headed slowly back to her room. Miss Cackle had had many students, but none like Esmerelda Hallow. And she would never have one like her again.