The Best Witch

By morning, all of the students had returned to Cackle's. The Great Hall was crowded with students, teachers, nervous parents, and a few remaining
witches and wizards. Miss Cackle stood on the stage and held up her hands. The Hall fell silent and everyone looked expectantly at her.

"I am glad to announce that Agatha is in custody and under a tight watch. She will not escape again. The Founding Stone is also under guard. We have inspected the school, and there is no reason classes cannot start up again tomorrow." Cheers ensued. "Parents, you are free to stay today to ensure the girls safety. We have many witches and wizards who can update you if you have questions. Other than that, feel free to settle in again and relax today." Miss Cackle walked off stage and the girls dispersed. Many parents gave their girls final hugs and vanished, returning to their day jobs. Students wandered the school, gossiping on what they believed happened the following day. Some people said that Miss Cackle defeated Agatha single-handed. Others said that the six students had joined forces to take her down. Many searched the school to find the six girls and hear their side, but they were nowhere to be found.

Mildred, Enid, Maud, and the Hallows were in Mildred's room, the door locked. Mildred and Enid has fallen asleep on the bed. Ethel and Maud were doing their homework. Esmerelda sat against the wall, Sybil asleep in her lap. She was trying to read, but she found herself rereading the same line over and over again. She was nervous. Mr. and Mrs. Hallow has not shown up yet, and she knew they would not be happy. A knock on the door startled the conscious girls. Esmerelda gently pried herself from underneath Syblil and set a pillow under her head, then answered the door. Miss Cackle came in, taking in the quiet room. She smiled softly and turned to Esmerelda, whispering.

"Your parents are here. Can you wake Sybil?" Esmerelda nodded, and gently shook Sybil.

"Hey Sybie? Mom and Dad are here. Come on." Sybil sat up wearily. The girls followed Miss Cackle to her office. Sybil ran to Mrs. Hallow, who embraced the small girl gently. Miss Cackle gestured for them to sit. Esmerelda and Ethel seemed nervous, exchanging quick glances and avoiding their parents eyes. Sybil sat between her parents, aware of the tension but too tired to care.

"So, let me get this straight. Your sister escaped once more, stole the Founding Stone, and threatened the destruction of the school. Correct so far?" Mr. Hallow asked harshly. Miss Cackle nodded calmly. She had expected this. "Right. So then you evacuated the entire student body except my girls, allowed them to roam the school alone, then put them into danger by confronting Agatha. And because of this, all of my girls were threatened by that lunatic?"

"Yes." Miss Cackle replied coolly.

"But dad. It was our choice. We chose to stay. It's not Miss Cackle's fault. Plus, I got my powers back." Esmerelda looked at her dad. He turned on her.

"And I'm happy for you, I really am, but this isn't your fault. I highly doubt it was your idea to stay." He looked pointedly at Ethel, who looked down. "I'll deal with that later. Now I have to deal with this situation's obvious mishandling." He looked back at Miss Cackle, and started to continue, but Esmerelda interrupted.

"No Dad. You can't just blame this on Ethel and Miss Cackle. I'm not perfect. It's my fault I lost my powers. I should have seen. And I could have made Ethel and Sybil go home, but I didn't. I didn't have to come here in the first place. Ethel didn't make me, it was my own choice. And Miss Cackle would have made us come home if she could, but the protective spells were already up. So stop blaming other people and let me take the fall once and awhile." Esmerelda was standing now. She stopped, shocked at her own words, and sat back down, looking away. Ethel and Sybil looked at her, surprised. Ethel was almost smiling. Mr. and Mrs. Hallow looked indignant.

"Don't defend them Esmerelda." Mrs. Hallow retorted, her voice shaking. She had never seen her daughter like this before.

"No Mom. I'm sorry, but you can't keep blaming Ethel for my mistakes. I'm sorry we stayed. I'm sorry I came here without telling you. But I'm not sorry for helping defend the school. And I'm definitely not sorry for getting my magic back."

"Esmerelda, it's all right. I was mistaken to allow you girls to stay. I should have been more careful, keeping track of who left. I don't want you to get in trouble for me." Miss Cackle said calmly. Esmerelda started to say something, but Miss Cackle gave her a look, and she stayed silent. "I'm sorry Mr. and Mrs. Hallow. Know that your daughters will be the first in line to go home if this happens again."

"They better be." Mr. Hallow retorted. "Esmerelda, can we talk to you in private." Esmerelda swallowed, and nodded. She stood and followed her father out the door. Mrs. Hallow picked up her purse and followed, turning at the last second.

"Good to see you girls. I'm glad your safe. Miss Cackle? Is Esmerelda free to return to Cackle's?" Ethel and Sybil looked at each other.

"Of course. If that is alright with her." Miss Cackle smiled. Ethel and Sybil smiled.

"Well. I'll talk to her. I'm sure she will want to return. Goodbye girls." she nodded at Miss Cackle, smiled at her daughters, then closed the door behind her.

Ethel and Sybil waited patiently with Miss Cackle for what felt like hours. Their quiet conversation was suddenly interrupted by the door opening. Esmerelda stepped through and smiled.

"I'm back!" Sybil cheered and ran to her sister. Ethel smiled wide and stood.

"What did they say? Even I've never heard you like that."

"Eh. Nothing really. Just normal parent stuff."

"Well, thanks. It means a lot to me."

"Anytime. That's what big sisters are for. And I had to make up for all the times you've been blamed for my mistakes."

"Well consider your debt repaid." Ethel smiled and went to stand by her sister. The girls looked at Miss Cackle.

"I'm glad to have you back Esme. Classes start again tomorrow. Maybe Alex can catch you up. She missed you. If you're up to it?"

"I'm sure with a little help, I'll catch up."

"Well if you need anything, I'm here. Now I should probably go check on the rest of the girls." with a final smile, she vanished and the Hallows were left alone.

"We have all day. You can tell me all the new things you guys have learned this year." Esemerelda led her sisters into the hallway.

"What about Alexis?" Sybil asked.

"Later. Sisters first." Esme replied.

"Why don't you ask her to come with us. She's basically a Hallow." Ethel smiled at her sister.

"Really? OK. Come one!" Esmerelda smiles wide and the girls disappeared.

The next morning, it seemed like nothing had happened. School continued like normal. And it was normal. Agatha was gone. The Founding Stone was returned. Miss Cackle was back in control. The Worst Witch was up to her usual antics. And, finally, The Best Witch was back where she belonged. At Cackle's. With her sisters.