«four»

A/N: i recommend playing the song ^
though it says 'don't listen' lmao // may you be blessed with dem vocals okay

ten years ago, 2018, 6.5 months after they met
" without thinking, i'm standing here where we were together, my love "
– seventeen's 몰래 듣지 마요

huang renjun

as hye ra and i walk down the hallways in school, i nervously bit on my lip. i cast a glance in her way, then back to the front.

for some reason, i couldn't bring myself to ask her. as if sensing my discomfort, she looks up at me with worried eyes.

"what is it, renjun?" she stops walking, her attention fully focused on me.

i gulped hard, swallowing my words.

i can't say it. why?

"renjun?"

"ah...i just," i dart my eyes in every direction but her eyes. students were passing by.

i let out a sigh.

if not now, then when?

"come with me." i say, grabbing her wrist.

she follows as i walk, and when i turn a corner to where there are lesser students, i stop and swiftly turn around.

i must've been too abrupt since hye ra wasn't able to slow down. she bumps into me and almost falls, but i quickly grab her shoulders, preventing it.

"sorry. are you okay?" i ask her with worry.

she nods. "i'm fine. did you need to say something?"

"um...yes," i slowly began. "this might seem weird, but..." i gaze down at her in all seriousness. i feel her shoulders tense.

"will you help me?"

"help you?" this time, she seems puzzled.

"hye ra-yah...you know kim hyun joo right?" i ask, still beating around the bush.

she bobs her head up and down.

"well...then, um...i...." i inhale sharply. "i think i like her."

______________________

park hye ra

"i think i like her." renjun blurts.

i widen my eyes in surprise, my heart beat accelerating. how should i react to this?

"...oh." i exhale, my eyes now not meeting his. i tried not to look too...upset.

"so can you help me meet her?" he excitedly says, not noticing my indifference. i looked off into the distance, not replying him.

"you'll help me, right?" his lips curve into a grin, snapping me out from my trance.

"i...uh..." i blink back tears that were unknowingly threatening to fall. "yeah..." i murmur.

his hands fall from my shoulders. "really? thank you then! you're the best, hye." he grins widely,

but i couldn't help but feel the opposite.

14 days later, 7 months after they met

i walk alone through the corridors in school. for some reason, it felt really empty, and most of all...i felt alone, lonely.

i heaved a sigh as i lifted my sandwich to my lips, taking a bite.

it felt so...unnatural.

i see my classroom from a far, and decided to pick up the pace. when i did, a couple came out from the classroom, both laughing heartily.

on closer inspection, i recognised them. my eyes quickly dart away as i felt my heart squeeze.

the face i wanted to see so much, yet i couldn't. i can't.

why?

it hurts.

i glance up at them again.

"renjun–" i croak.

they walk past me.

i let out an unsteady breath, but i still continued on to my destination.

but who...can i blame?

i was the one who set them up.

i was the cause to my own pain.

i was the reason why my heart broke that day.

____________________