Chapter 2

Every flat showing I went to I had to ask for directions because I didn't have a smartphone. Only a prepaid tourist phone card. I walked by foot everywhere. My hotel was situated 20 minutes walking distance from Old Town. The part of the city that is the most charming place anyone can ever see.

I instantly fell in love with the area!

It felt like I was walking into a Hans Christian Anderson novel. There were buildings as old as 1000 years, cobble stone streets and Dutch style architecture. The streets were so narrow that cars had to park on sidewalks. Totally legal there. As I passed by busy bakeries, the sweet scent of freshly baked goods felt like a warm mother's shawl. On a cold, late November afternoon, it felt quite comforting.

Especially at night, the Old Town seemed so mysterious and romantic. I wanted to rent something there as soon as possible! I didn't even care if I had to walk up a few flights of stairs, I just wanted to be in the middle of everything that had to do with this place. I was in love!

I finally got tired of walking and, made my way back to the hotel flat. On the way there, I stopped by a food market to get some groceries. When I got to the place, I must have stood there for an hour trying to figure out what the products were and what was inside of them. Even though I spoke and read the language, I was not used to shopping for groceries in Poland. When on vacation, I ate in restaurants. So, market shopping was totally new to me.

After nearly two hours of touring the local supermarket and carefully reading the labels, I've finally put some stuff in my basket. I could have sworn that the security guy was following me. He probably thought that I wanted to steal something. I mean, who hangs out in the supermarket on a Friday night, really?

When I got to the cashier, I took everything out of the basket and picked up a magazine next to the register. I read it while I was waiting to be checked out. I couldn't understand why after I paid for my groceries I had to wait forever for the lady to pack my stuff. "Stop and Shop" would have already fired her! Anyhow, she was already looking at me strangely. Because I wasn't familiar with the way the local currency looked, when I paid in cash, I put each money bill close to my eyes to read what it said. I even looked it over on both sides.

I thought that she was very impatient.

What do you mean I have to pack my own groceries? And, why do I have to buy a plastic shopping bag? Don't you give those out for free? "Stop and Shop" does.

That day I had learned that in order not to get the evil eye from the cashiers at any supermarket, you had pay quickly, bag your own groceries. Also, quickly. And, get out!