Chapter 6

Later on, I'd learned that the building had an upstairs attic which some tenants used to hang and dry laundry. The bulky, metal door was locked with a heavy padlock and, I was given a separate key to enter it. There was no electricity in the attic except for one single lightbulb. I put the key in a separate place and made a mental note to go up there sometime to check it out.

The Old Town was charming and bustling with people. I spent a few hours walking around the narrow corridors of ancient streets admiring the unique city character and its famous architecture. The most interesting fact about the city was that almost every other street corner had its own bakery.

I noticed that Polish people loved to eat pastries and sweets! I have never seen so many different bakeries in one city. I decided to join the fun and splurge on something guilt-worthy. I walked inside an old-fashioned style bakery on Dluga Street. I immediately zoned in on a delicious chocolate covered éclair and waited patiently in line for my turn to purchase it. While standing there, I was surprised to hear someone speaking English. I turned around and saw a pregnant woman with short, blond hair and a heavy winter jacket. She was sitting at a small table and talking on the phone. She noticed me and, smiled.

I took my éclair and sat at a table next to her. I was just about to devour the precious, little treat when I heard.

"Are you going to eat that whole thing all by yourself?"

I turned around, it was that pregnant woman. She was smiling and eyeing my éclair.

I said, "Ummm, yeah, I am. Want some?"

She giggled and replied.

"No, enjoy! I was just laughing to myself because I am pregnant and just ate three of them and thought maybe you are too."

I blushed a little feeling guilty for ordering something so high in calories and not being pregnant. As if that was an excuse!

"I am not pregnant, but I am jet-lagged, and that my friend, gives me all the excuses in the world to eat this calorie-bomb right here!"

I exclaimed unapologetically and, stuffed half of the éclair in my mouth, wiping the side of my lip.

After talking to the woman for a few minutes, I'd learned that she was also an American expat living in Poland. She was from New Hampshire and moved to Poland two years earlier. She also had left Poland as a kid and being completely Americanized since childhood, she'd arrived here as an adult to explore the country. She then met her Polish finance in Gdansk, got pregnant and, decided to stay. Her name was Nancy.

We've exchanged numbers and she invited me to her place for tea and to meet her finance.

I was excited to visit them as she told me that they lived in an old Archeological Museum in the back of Old Town. I couldn't imagine what that must have been like but, I couldn't wait to see it!

In the afternoon, I came back home to start writing my blog about my move to Poland, and to look for some clients for my ESL teaching endeavor. As I walked into the townhome, I passed by the entry door to the basement. This time it was locked. However, what was interesting is that the back door, which faced the courtyard, was opened.

What's more, a couple of street pigeons were taking a walk inside the hallway.

As if sightseeing.

I clapped my hands a few times and let them fly away. I walked up to the heavy wooden door and closed it shot.

Why was the door wide open on a freezing December afternoon? Did the Caretaker forget to lock it?

Hmmm....that mysterious, one-eyed Caretaker. There was something about her that I just felt uneasy about. Was she going to buzz me again at 6:00 am tomorrow morning?

I hoped not!

I went up stairs to my flat to unwind and eat dinner. When I got to my door there was a note slid in a crack of the wall. It was addressed to, Tenant at no. 312.