werewolf Terminology

Many believe lycans and werewolves to be two seperate species, infact i myself actually used to believe this before doing some real research. truth be told this is false. Lycans and werewolves are the same, just one species. Werewolf is the more acurate and correct term while lycan is a more newly used term thats been recently becoming more and more popular among the community young and old. Around this, many cults have formed, and alot of misinformation has spread, we do not need this in the shifter community.

Werewolves are able shift at will with practice( meaning shifting takes a lot of practice not implying that they are out of control) and resemble regular wolves in the wild. We are just about indistinguishable from a normal wolf. Some take on a bipedal wolfman form depending on genetics or personal preference but most like to be in a quadrupedal wolf form. It is, anyways, much easier. We aren't any bigger or smaller than the average wolf, nor are we faster, stronger, immune/immortal etc. The conservation of mass states that matter cannot be randomly created or destroyed, therefore only allowing us to shift into an animal of the same size/mass as our own bodies.

Now, just like with many animals such as dogs, cats, horses etc, werewolves have breeds too. These breeds aren't seperate species, they are subspecies of one another, like a labrador and a golden retriever. They aren't a seperate species but they are similar, they are subspecies. Some breeds that have been thrown around the shifter community lately are fake while others are actually real breeds. It can be hard to tell since most sound so real but sadly most of it is just false information.

So is lycan actually a correct term?

Well yes and no. Lycan comes from the greek word "lycaon" meaning man-wolf and werewolf is old English for wolf-man so both pretty much mean the same thing but werewolf is the original term for us, the term lycan has only just started appearing around the community more and more often as we have become more popular among society. So really the term werewolf is more accurate but lycan is not entirely false. Albeit "werewolf" and "were" in general has been pretty tainted over the years but that still doesn't make it any less correct.

Correct terms; werewolf, lycan(sort of), wolf shifter.

False terms; wolfblood, animorph, anthromorph,

Wolfblood couldn't be anymore incorrect! We are NOT some troubled teen wolves from a tv show!! The full moon does NOT force us to shift and there is none of those crazy powers!!