Chapter Seven

"What's this place again?"

   "Only the best damn café in all of Cali!" I said to Ryder as I pulled him into Heīse Coco.

   "It's really nice here, I can't believe I didn't hear about it sooner," He said.

   "Go sit over there, want anything?"

   "Just a black coffee is fine,"

   "Ok!"

    He went to the table and I went to the counter where Mei Xing was. Her hair looked a little frizzed and there were bags under her eyes; she didn't even notice when I walked up.

   "Hey, Mei?"

   "Huh...?" She rubbed her eyes. "Oh, hello... sorry, I had to work a late shift last night for Chao's party..."

   "That sucks, you couldn't take today off to get some sleep?"

   "Ba ba said I could work through the pain..." Mei Xing yawned. "Peppermint tea with extra sugar?"

   "And a black coffee,"

   "Who's it for?"

    I blushed and bit my lip, trying my best to conceal a grin.

   "My boyfriend..."

   The moment those words left my lips, Mei Xing woke right up.

   "Rènzhēn?! Oooh! Who is he, who is he!" (1)

   I pointed over to where Ryder was and Mei Xing giggled as her face went red.

   "Oooh~! Nice catch~"

   "Shut up and get the drinks!" I said, holding out my card and blushing.

   "Okay okay, they'll be over to your table in a minute~"

   After I paid, I went to the table where Ryder was waiting for me and sat in front of him.

   "Our drinks will be out in a second," I said.

   "Cool," His eyes scanned the area, "Is smoking allowed in this place?" He asked.

   "No. Why, do you smoke a lot? That's really bad for health you know..." I said in a worried tone.

   "Not really, I just do it when I'm stressed, since I've been working a lot of extra shifts lately—"

   I found myself grabbing his hand and holding tight, catching him off guard a little.

   "Please try to stop..." I whispered.

   "Huh? What's wrong...?"

   I gripped his hand tighter.

   "It's just... bad for your health... please try to stop or cut down on smoking a little, ok...?"

   He smiled and moved his hand to my face and rubbed his thumb against my cheek.

   "Awww, Lil' Red trying to be over protective~ Don't worry about me, ok?"

   I wanted to do nothing but worry about him. But I began to smile too and put my hand over his.

   "I can't make promises..."

   Mei Xing came over just then with our drinks, and she set them in front of us with a casual grin.

   "Peppermint tea and black coffee for the cute little couple~" She said playfully.

   "Meiii!" I whined.

   Ryder grinned when he saw my embarrassed face.

   "Another friend of yours?" He asked.

  "I'm Mei Xing, nice to meet you~!" She held out her hand, and Ryder happily shook it.

  "Ryder. It's nice to meet you too,"

   "Soo~" Mei Xing leaned forward. "How long have you two been together? You think you'll get married? Have you two done the dirty yet?!"

   "MEIII!!" I put my hands over my face.

   Ryder started laughing and took one of my hands to kiss it.

   "I don't think my baby wants me to answer stuff like that~" He joked.

   "Awww~! So cute~!" Mei Xing started to blush and giggle.

   "So where's Chao...?" I muttered, attempting to change the subject.

   "Out with mama,"

   I took a present wrapped in blue paper and tied in a red bow out my bag and handed it to her.

   "Give that to him for me, ok?"

  "Alright! Bye bye, lovebirds~!"

   "MEIII!!"

    She skipped away, leaving Ryder laughing and me blushing. I put my head down and groaned at the thought of her dumb name for us. I felt Ryder put a hand on my head and tangle his fingers in my hair.

    "Don't be so embarrassed, ok? It's nice that you're friends are so accepting of us,"

   "Yeah, I know..." I said.

   Suddenly, I heard a phone vibrating. I looked up to see Ryder looking at his phone with an annoyed look before putting it away.

   "Who was that?" I asked.

   "Nobody, don't worry about—"

   It vibrated again. He declined it again.

   "Is something wrong...?" Now I was worried.

   Ryder took my hand and made a small smile.

   "Don't worry, ok? I promise, it's nothing," He said.

   I wasn't sure of that. I didn't want a repeat of that incident with Sebastian. Yet, I slowly smiled and held onto Ryder's hand tighter.

   "If you say so.."

————

(1) Rènzhēn?! - Seriously?!