Chapter Nine

We didn't speak for three days...

I couldn't bring myself to go to work; not with the risk of Sebastian finding me. Connie and Chloe understood my problem and didn't pester me about it. I told Krysta what happened, and she promised she'd keep Sebastian far away from me at work. But the experience scared me so much, that I ended up quitting...

Adelaide spent a day at home with me to make sure I was alright. She even called the police to report the attempted rape and fight, but Sebastian seemed to disappear without a trace. The next day she had to go back to work to get out the orders for her dresses.

Now I'm in bed, hiding under blankets while listening to Melanie Martinez like the crybaby I was.

Part of me wishes I didn't run when Ryder took off his mask. The other part of me knew I'd probably learn about something I didn't want to know about. What if Ryder was in some gang or mafia? What if he's stolen things? What if he's killed people...? The worst part was... I was still crazy about him...

🎶 Riding down, riding down
My hand on your seat The whole way round
I carry band-aids on me now
For when your soft hands hit the jagged ground 🎶

"For fucks sake..."

How perfect is it that of all of Melanie's songs the one that plays as I'm thinking about Ryder is the one love song? I groaned as I pushed myself out of bed and went into my studio. I grabbed some sheets of paper, pencils, brushes, and watercolors then spread everything out on the floor and stared drawing.

   I just sat in my studio and painted for the whole day, Félix occasionally wandered in to lay on the small couch or bug me, but I was too focused on my work. Before I knew it the evening had arrived. I was staring at his eyes...

Ryder was all I could think of, no matter how hard I tried to push him out my thoughts. Out of slight panic my arm bumped against the water glass I was using and it spilled on one of my paintings, making the water color melt into a wet, black mess.

My emotions finally took over... I fell beside the painting to cry...

 I fell beside the painting to cry

     "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

     I sobbed quietly until I was asleep...

————

    I was awoken by Félix's loud growling. When I sat up that's when I heard the sound of a loud engine...

   I rubbed my eyes and went to the window of my studio, pulling it open to see outside in the dark of night. Down in the street, I saw Ryder staring up at me on a really cool looking motorcycle. When we met eyes I felt like I would like cry again—my emotions flooded in and tried to drown me...

   "Been awhile, huh...?" He called up to me. "I haven't seen you at the zoo..."

   I rubbed my eyes again, trying to stop myself from crying.