036: real life

Daniel didn't really know what to expect but when he heard that Hope had left and headed back to London without so much as a word, he was hurt to say the least. He wanted an explanation of some sort, if this was Hope's way of ending thing's with him then she could have just said without running away.

He jumped in a taxi which was stationed outside of Heathrow airport, thoughts swirling around in his head almost like a tornado was ripping him apart inside his brain. Why would she leave? What was so bad that she couldn't speak to him? He thought the pair of them had a better relationship than that.

After a half an hour journey, the driver finally pulled up outside Hope's parent's house. "Can you just wait here a second please because I have no idea how this is going to go down." Daniel directed his attention to the taxi driver who just nodded while he headed straight up to the front door, took a deep breath and knocked.

"Daniel." The gasp of Kris Riley's voice was an indication that she definitely wasn't expecting him. "W-what are you doing here, sweetheart?"

"Please, let me see her, Kris." Daniel pleaded, his eyes begged just as his voice did. "I need to see her. I need to make sure she's okay, that's all I want. And if she wants me to leave, I will. Just, please."

In that instant, Hope appeared behind her Mother with a guilty look on her face. Her eyes connected with Daniel's before she slowly nodded. "Let him in."

Kris moved past the doorway and let Daniel inside the house, he awkwardly looked the brunette female up and down as if he was trying to work out what was wrong. It was clear, she didn't look like herself, that much was true. 

"I'll leave you two alone." Kris smiled sweetly before she patted both her daughter and Daniel on the shoulder.

"Come with me." Hope took a hold of Daniel's hand and lead her to her bedroom that she had been clearly been staying in for the past week or so. 

"What's happened, Hope? Why have you gone all Paper Towns on me?" Daniel raised an eyebrow as he sat on her window seat while she sat upon her bed. "And yes, I watched the film and yes, I agree about the ending."

Hope couldn't even hide the flicker of a smile that danced across her lips the moment that Daniel spoke. "I just needed to gather my thoughts, you know? I needed my Mum."

"Thoughts? What thoughts? Hope, you just left without saying a word wha-"

"I'm pregnant." She blurted out quickly just as Daniel's mouth gaped open in surprise. "I'm pregnant, Daniel. And I got scared so I came here. I'm sorry, okay?"

"You're pregnant?" He repeated almost as a breath before he snapped out of whatever thought he was in. "You're pregnant and you ran away instead of coming to talk to me about it properly? Like a normal person?"

"It's not that easy." A single tear began to run down Hope's cheek. 

"Then explain because I am very confused right now, Hope."

"I was pregnant before." She breathed almost like it took everything inside her to speak. "A few years ago now. She died before she was even born. She died and it was my fault. I thought it must have been something I did, what kind of Mother can't even make sure that her child is safe from harm? And get this, this is the kicker: the real harm was me. And I'm scared that-"

Daniel instantly got up and moved beside her, she cried as he held her in his embrace. Hope was his world, and now she was carrying his child. He would protect the two of them even if it meant he had to die to do it. "Listen to me, nothing is going to happen to this baby or you. I promise you, Hope. I love you. You've got me, I'm not going anywhere."