v

5.

Tenten fought the urge to bounce in excitement as a spandexed-man sporting a distinct bowl cut and particularly thick eyebrows smiled at them enthusiastically.

She was with her designated teammates - Hyuuga Neji and Rock Lee - in training ground four for the official test in becoming official genin. From what Tenten knew of the man gathered both in her trip in the library yesterday and the information she managed to squeeze out of her jounin acquaintances, Maito Gai was a taijutsu master famed for his use of the eight gates. He was quite a prodigy in his younger days too - only behind Kakashi-san - graduating at the academy at 7 and chuunin at 11.

A fitting match for all of them with the Hyuuga prodigy, the budding taijutsu specialist and well, her, even if it wasn't apparent at first glance. Tenten liked to understate her skills, after all. Even with her marked skill at the academy in shurikenjutsu, her dream of being a weapon mistress in the future wasn't common knowledge. Although it was unknown if the jounin was proficient in handling a variety of weapons, Tenten was sure her skills in close combat would improve under Gai's tutelage.

"My youthful genin, my test is simple." The man began in a deep voice. "All of you just have to prove your worth. Prove to me that you have enough spirit to be my student and be an official ninja of Konohagakure." He smiled encouragingly. "Hit me with all you've got."

Neji and Lee visibly tensed. With her standing between the two, Tenten could tell that they were about to ran forward no questions asked. Probably because both were going to mainly use taijutsu in their attack. However, she wanted to clarify something before they start.

Tenten raised her hand. "Gai-sensei. Is it okay if I use my weapons?"

Gai beamed, his teeth sparkling. "Of course, Tenten." He clapped his hands in a loud boom. "Begin."

With his form blurring as a testament to his already considerable speed, Lee immediately went to find a weak spot and ran around the spandexed jounin eagerly. As he circled around the man, Tenten palmed several kunai and threw them one by one - making sure to avoid hitting her teammate by accident. Gai, in response, simultaneously fend of Lee with his feet and threw the kunai he caught back at her.

Flexing her hand, blue strings appeared in her fingertips - immediately sticking on every weapon hurled back. She proceeded to manipulate them into her side and nodded slightly when she caught the Hyuuga's eyes.

"Hah!" Neji began to attack, making sure to get Gai's attention as he expertly utilized the gentle fist his clan were known for. His execution was excellent as always, Tenten absentmindedly noted. Good stance with strong, terrifyingly precise blows.

Not that it made a dent in the jounin's defense, but she admitted the effort was commendable.

Snapping back into attention, Tenten's brows furrowed a bit as she concentrated in maintaining her hold on her chakra threads. She valiantly ignored the sweat running down her cheeks from the effort and looked for the right time to unleash her attack.

There! Once she was sure that Neji was reasonably far away, Tenten jumped up and brought down her collected kunai on the jounin's head viciously.

"Argh!" Tenten cried out as she flew back several meters when Gai did a strong helicopter-like rotation with his feet that sent her and her weapons flying.

That hurt.

Getting to her feet determinedly, she winced as the painful scratches on her knees sting and brought out the tonfas hidden in her long-sleeves. It was a gift from Izumi - given by Shisui after Tenten passed the graduation test and, although she only had the weapon for a short time, Tenten was familiar enough with Kyoya-san's movements that she's fairly confident she could handle the weapon well.

Tenten waited for an opening as Lee and Neji tried to awkwardly cooperate with one another, before running in and taking a swipe with her tonfas. She used Kyoya-san's favored catchphrase too, because it felt right and she's not one to curb her instincts.

"I'll bite you to death." Tenten whispered - her brown eyes glinting exhilaratedly.

Blocking the incoming punch with her weapon, Tenten lost herself on the familiar dance of combat and moved on instinct - automatically reacting and countering with every move from her opponent. She went faster and faster - looking for a pattern and taking advantage of any opening when Gai suddenly caught to one of her hand and flung her towards the two boys.

Breathing hard, Tenten forced herself to stay upright and glanced at her teammates. Both of them were covered in scratches and looked as tired as she was - Lee more so than Neji.

"We couldn't give up now." She muttered harshly. She could see the two nod in agreement and as one, they all ran towards Gai - screaming out a war cry.

"Severe Leaf Hurricane." Gai shouted, sweeping all of them with the wind created by sheer power of his kick. Tenten couldn't quite stop herself from rolling in response to the force and lied on her back when the momentum stopped. She coughed and licked the blood from the cut on her lips. Her shoulder was dislocated.

The jounin looked at them in challenge. "Was this all you've got?"

Neji struggled to stand on his feet. "No!" He bit out angrily. "I- I won't give up now.'

"Me either. I- I'm going to pass this test." Lee supported, following Neji's lead.

Tenten just snarled. Scrounging up the will to stand up and continue to fight, she strode towards the jounin stubbornly.

"Yes! This is it. The springtime of youth!" Gai opened his arms as if to welcome them. "Even if you've used every ounce of energy, suck it up and push through it." He bellowed. "Hit me with all your might."

The two boys hit the man first - slapping Gai in the face pitifully. When their hands fell down, the jounin looked at her in question. "What about you, youthful blossom?"

Smiling vindictively, Tenten pulled back her arm and, with all the meager chakra left on her body, reinforced the punch she sent to the jounin's stomach.

Neji and Lee could only look on dumbfoundedly as Gai fell down with a thump.

"You all passed." The man choked out after a few seconds of silence.

Tenten beamed and allowed herself to finally collapse into oblivion.