vi

6.

Tenten admitted that it was probably her fault that Izumi's still back even after the rude impression she made the first time they met.

The girl's endearingly persistent, stubbornly offering her treats whenever Izumi's nineko stalk Tenten, and well-

Tenten ached for real friends - no matter how much she tried to fool herself otherwise.

Even if there was the Sharingan thing to think of.

The offer of training was an incentive she couldn't really ignore.

(Tenten knew that what she remembered from Kyoya-san's memories weren't enough to hold her out in the shinobi industry. Kyoya-san's body breathes combat honed meticulously from continuous practice and natural aptitude. Tenten-

Tenten's body was weak and she didn't have the leg-up like other clan children have. The opportunity wasn't something she had the luxury to pass over.)

(It...helped that Izumi didn't really look like an Uchiha. Her coloring was different and she acted so unlike the stereotype that perpetuated the village about the clan that Tenten forgot sometimes that the brunette was an Uchiha in the first place.)

(Izumi reminded her of Yamamoto-san, actually.)

"Are you sure you don't want the chokuto I had, Tenten-chan?" Izumi asked as she stretched her arms overhead. "You don't have to borrow it again and again since we had plenty of that in my father's workshop."

"No, Uchiha-san," Tenten replied politely.

"Izumi." Izumi corrected.

"It's okay like this. I don't want to intrude and take advantage of your goodwill."

Izumi looked at her a bit helplessly before nodding. "Hai, hai. Now, let me see your form."

Tenten bowed and proceeded to train - her ears barely picking up Izumi's murmurs before they started.

"Aiya, this child. Such a good kid."

Tenten ignored how her ears reddened at the praise and the subsequent laugh from Izumi after that, before swinging the weapon down with a snap.

-----

Grimacing at the deep cut on her hand and a mother-henning Uchiha at her side, Tenten tried to protest as she was gently dragged inside Konoha's Hospital. It wasn't the first time she was injured during their training, but the injury wasn't shallow in any means. It...probably needed medical attention, but Tenten didn't want to inconvenience anyone. "I don't think this is necessary Uchiha-san."

"Izumi," The dark-haired girl reminded cheerfully.

"Uchiha-san." Tenten repeated, ignoring the other girl's pout at her stubbornness."I don't need to go to the hospital."

"Of course you have to!" Izumi protested. "That could get infected or worse!"

Tenten pursed her lips. "...I don't have any money."

Izumi paused. "You need money to get healed?"

"Of course." Tenten responded wearily. "I'm not an academy student. I'm considered a civilian, and thereby subjected to the expenses to receive the services that shinobis and shinobis-in-training enjoyed." She avoided Izumi's eyes. "Civilians in your clan are already paid for, so you probably didn't know."

"Oh," Izumi said quietly. She was silent for a moment, before continuing on. "I have money."

Tenten gritted her teeth. "I'm not accepting handouts."

"I'm doing it as your friend," Izumi protested. When Tenten continued to look unconvinced, she added desperately. "It's for my peace of mind, if nothing else."

"I-" Tenten faltered, her resolve weakening as her wound throbbed.

"Tenten?" A voice asked curiously from behind. A familiar face appeared in her line of vision. He looked a bit tired, and there was-

There was something different about him that Tenten couldn't quite pinpoint.

"Kabuto-nii." She smiled awkwardly. "What are you doing here?"

"I work here, Tenten." He said dryly. "What are you doing here?"

"I was-"

"She was injured." Izumi chimed in.

Kabuto sighed. "Come here, Tenten. I'll treat you myself." His eyes gentled before he rubbed Tenten's head hesitantly. "Stupid girl. Even with our budget, I'm sure I can spare some money for anything you might need. You don't have to bear it." His lips quirked into a smile. "Not that it matters, since I'm now quite proficient in medical ninjutsu, so just come to me for anything okay?"

Tenten looked at how Kabuto's eyes darkened ever so slightly and wondered.

(When did Kabuto-nii mature this much?)

After a moment, Tenten smiled solemnly. "Okay, Kabuto-nii." She turned and bowed to Izumi. "Thank you, Izumi-san for the concern. I appreciate it."

Izumi looked protesting for a moment before she stopped and smiled.

(Her smile shined so brightly, it almost made Tenten's eyes hurt.)

-----

Author's Note: Ko-fi? I'm trying to work hard, but I can't crank out thousands of words everyday uwu. QAQ.