IV. | Q U A T T O R |

Lessons with the five of them were never boring. After the boys had inducted her into their Marauder ways (and explained the name to her), she was closer with them than ever.

    "And Miss Scamander! When you're not chatting with your friends in Gryffindor, how would you defend yourself from a boggart?" the professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts stood at the front of the class, her arms crossed as she continued to intimidate Rita, though not intentionally.

    "The best way to combat a boggart would be laughter, the opposite of fear. The spell Riddikulus, would do, I believe," the girl spoke up, her voice strong despite the turmoil inside her. She saw Lucius Malfoy mock her voice, but she ignored it. However, when she saw Potter copying her, she scrunched up a smaller section of torn off parchment and threw it at his head when the professor wasn't looking, making James whine in pain and surprise. She threw him a smug grin and continued to pay attention as the spell was written on the board.

    "Great! Does anyone know their greatest fear?" Professor Clearwater continued.

    While no one put their hands up, some Slytherins smirked, such as Evan Rosier, whom Rita had come to loathe even the idea of. "The rule of half bloods," he said as the professor let him speak, something that made the hair on the back of Rita's neck stand as the Slytherins sniggered and everyone else cowered. They all had friends who were not pure-blooded wizards if they were not one themselves.

    "Stay quiet, Mr Rosier, not another word," the professor snapped, waving her wand at a trunk, pulling it to the front of the room. "You can be the first one to face your worst fear," he spoke, the boy getting up and walking to the front with his head held high.

    "Don't faint," Rita mumbled under her breath as he passed her by, making him stop and turn to her.

    "You little-"

    "Raise that wand at me and you'll wonder why I wasn't put into Slytherin," she warned, getting up as his arm started to raise. The two stared at each other, the boys watching on, wishing they could find the power to get up and do as they wished, to cause a scene and push her behind them, but they knew she could defend herself.

    "Mr Rosier!" Doyle snapped, prompting the boy to smirk at Rita and turn, stalking to the front.

    "Just wait until you're under his mercy," Lucius seethed as Rita let out a humourless chuckle as she sat down.

    "I don't intend on going into purgatory once I die."

    "Raise your wand, and as firmly as you can, say riddikulus once the creature takes the correct form, picturing a humorous twist on the object of your fear," Professor Clearwater instructed, Evan nodding.

    The creature emerged as the top of the trunk was raised, disguised as a black cloaked figure. Once it stepped out, the class watched on as it gave a twirl, but there was nothing elegant about the move. It was smooth and quick, the spin transitioning it into a well known auror, raising his wand and speaking the important word that made Evan shiver to his core.

    "Surrender."

    "Riddikulus," without a hint of fear or confusion, Evan had made the quick flick of the wrist, the human figure morphing into a colourful character that a muggle would see in a circus. The red nosed, rainbow coloured hair bobbed along with laughter, which, while creeping some people out, made most of the class laugh as Clearwater chuckled and called Millie up. Her fear was a rat, the Marauders letting out a chuckle at the sight, Rita smiling as the redhead turned it into a cartoon mouse.