VIII. | O C T Ō |

Instead of a week, it was two. And it wasn't really any of their faults.

"Is that-"

"Holy shit," Peter whispered as he saw Rita sitting with Severus, the two chuckling about something she'd said.

"She needed help with potions, I missed a couple because of-"

"Your furry little problem," James nodded, still astonished at what he was seeing.

"Yeah," Remus shrugged, going back to his work.

"You're not even a little bit annoyed by this?" Sirius asked, "They're clearly flirting!"

"We're fifteen years old, and as great as Rita is, I doubt Severus knows how to, and I also doubt Rita would do it intentionally."

While Sirius tried to get over his demons about seeing Rita with his best friend's enemy, whom, as a result they all collectively hated (except for Rita), the partners continued to solve their homework.

"I'm not sure why you even seem okay with being stuck with me," Severus finally said the one thought that was bothering him.

"Because you're friends with Lily," she shrugged, smiling softly. "And I'm sorry for James and the boys, they're really immature-"

"Yeah, Potter doesn't seem to like me," Severus sighed, turning a page in their textbook.

"He's probably the worst of all, but I promise his heart is in the right place. He's just a bit-"

"Insufferable?"

"Pretty much," Rita chuckled, Severus smiling, happy to know that he wasn't the only one in thinking that way.

"Thanks for trying to defend me, and for the whole- well, you know," Rita realised where the awkward rumours came from, not having talked to him properly before, but it really seemed obvious. "Yeah, just, thanks," he shrugged.

"No worries. Of course. Lily's one of my best friends, so of course," she smiled. "If the boys give you grief, just let me know. I'll get a little revenge on them."

"Thanks, but I think I'll try to take care of it myself," Severus nodded.

"Of course. All right, so, bezoar?"

"I'm fuming, I want her away from him," Sirius hissed, Remus just watching with a very slight smile in the corner of his mouth at his friends' reactions.

"I'll go see if they're okay," he got up, closing his book by putting his scarf as a bookmark.

"If she's okay, I don't care about him right now," Sirius snapped quietly, James not able to even pay attention at the moment.

"Shut up Padfoot," Remus laughed, walking over to Rita and Severus. "Hi," he smiled at the both as they looked up, after Severus explained the Veritaserum.

"Hey Remus, everything okay?" Rita asked, smilingly widely at her boyfriend.

"Yeah, 'course. Severus," he nodded to the boy beside his girlfriend, who nodded in return.

"Can we help you?" he asked, all rudeness gone from his tone.

"Sorry to bother, I just wanted to ask, are you okay to meet by the kitchens before dinner? Like usual?" Remus turned back to the girl.

"Yeah, if James and Sirius aren't there, probably," Rita nodded.

"When are you gonna let them apologise?" Remus sighed, crouching beside her seat.

"When all three of them apologise to Lily and Severus. Then Sirius can apologise to me," she shrugged, Remus smiling at her answer before he got up and kissed her forehead.