Prologue

PRINCE CASPIAN ROMANOV

BANEHALLOW PALACE, RUSSIA

My trusted assistant, François is holding up my robe as I slip out of the rumpled bed. Long legs tangled and hands with perfectly manicured nails are sticking out from under the sheet.

"Wake her up and get Beckett to drive her home," I tell François as I shrug my robe on.

"Your Highness....where do think you're going?" says a velvety seductive voice from the bed. A second later, her sleepy face with a disarray ringlets of brown hair appears from underneath the blanket.

"I'm going to bed. You need to get home," I say curtly, ready to leave.

"But Prince Caspian...we are in bed. I mean you were..." She slinks out of bed in nothing at all and attaches herself to my back, her hands start to roam my chest and my lower region. François doesn't even bat an eyelid. He has seen it all before. "Come back to bed and I'll make Your Highness very very happy." Her hands grow bolder.

I pry her fingers off me and re-tie my robe. I don't usually need to tell people twice what to do.

"Why can't we spend the whole night together?" I can sense her pouting behind me. She's getting clingy. I don't do clingy. "Why can't I sleep in your bed?" Nope, she's going nowhere near my private quarters. "Last night was awesome, my prince." Of course, she would think so. I've been with her twice and I'm already bored. She's beautiful, most of lycan women are, but this is the last time she's setting foot in here.

"What time is it, François?" I ask my assistant as slip on my slippers before I exit the room.

"It's almost four in the morning, Your Highness," he answers after flicking his eyes at his pocket watch.

"Prince Caspian! Please..." I hear her whinny voice behind us.

"Make sure she's dressed then escort her out," I tell him even though I know he needs no such instruction.

"I'll make sure she's out before anybody sees her or the Queen hears about her," he replies.

I nod my head even though I couldn't care less if mother saw my latest conquest. Actually, it's better if she does. I stop walking. "François?"

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Make sure to escort her out through the main entrance," I tell him. My smile is widening. Mother will hear about this.

"You're an idiot, do you know that?" says my cousin, Constantine. He has no doubt heard the tail end of my instruction to François.

"Oh, he knows," mutters Lazarus.

My shoulders are relaxing and my mood improves drastically as I find myself among my trusted friends. I've reached the East wing of the palace where I can be myself. Where my pack members are. My family.

As the crown prince, I learn very early and the hard way that not everybody can be trusted. Everyone wants something from me. Those trusted few friends that I have, I keep.

Lazarus is my guardian as well as my head security. He also happens to be Constantine's cousin from his mother's side. We've been together for centuries. We are all the same height, around 6′ 5" but Lazarus, being one of our best warriors, is bulkier.

"What are you two doing out of bed at this hour? Don't you have your mates to please?" Both of them have found their mates or rather "erasthai" for us lycans. Lucky bastards.

Their mates are also now part of our small pack. Lazarus found his erasthai, Serena over sixty years ago. Constantine claimed Genesis three years ago. Both Serena and Genesis are like sisters to me.