Chapter V - Hobo Hoodie

My roommate, Layla is still sleeping. She got back pretty late last night, so it's a good thing that she doesn't have any classes this morning. Even though she told me that she's a heavy sleeper, I try not to make too much noise when I'm getting ready.

"First day of College, Nana. Wish me luck," I whisper as I gently touch a framed picture of my Nana on my study table. Nana's warm brown eyes gaze back at me. I wonder if Nana is proud of me now. "I'll study hard...but not too hard. I'll make sure that hot human men here won't know what hit them," I assure Nana.

"Love you, Oliver. Try not to miss me too much today." I pat my teddybear's head.

Layla has a big mirror hanging near the door. I decided to give myself a quick once over before I go. "Oh, there you are!" I greet myself. "Hello, you sexy beast." I point two fingers as if I'm holding two guns at my reflection and wink. I know it's lame and I don't necessarily think that I look sexy, but Nana told me that if you keep telling yourself that you look great, then you will look great...eventually. I want to look and feel sexy, so sometimes I call myself a sexy beast. Mostly in my head.

I hear a laughter coming from the bed next to me. "That's it! I can't hold it in anymore. The hell are you up to so early in the morning, Quincy St. Martin?" asks Layla, poking her sleepy head out of her cotton sheet.

I am mortified that Layla saw my lame move but I scowl, put my hands on my hips and accusingly say, "Hey! I thought you're a heavy sleeper. Have you been listening in all this time?"

She laughs again. "How can I not? You are so funny...and strange. Do you always talk to yourself like that?"

Funny and strange? This girl doesn't know what she's talking about. I am so normal. No, scratch that, I'm beyond normal. I sassily flip my hair. "Pshhh...but you love me. See you later, bitch," I tell her.

"Yeah, see you later, skank," she answers with a laugh.

It feels great to have a friend like Layla. We get along well and we can joke around like we've known each other for ages. She's another person who can make my swear jar prosper.

I grab my bag and step outside our shared bedroom to come face to face with Jonah who is standing right in front of the bedroom door as if he's been waiting for me to come out.

"Oh, hey Jonah." I smile up at him. "Good morning!"

He stands there just staring at me for a second as if my cheerful greeting surprised him. "Here," he says gruffly, handing me a rectangular object wrapped in a colorful wrapping paper.

"What is it?" I ask him even when my hand is already reaching for it. "Is it food?" Please tell me it's food.

He looks like he wants to roll his eyes but he doesn't. I'm sorry that my tummy rules my head sometimes...okay, most of the time. "Jorden told me it's your birthday today. So...happy birthday," he says, looking very uncomfortable.

Oh god! I forgot my own birthday! I guess I have a lot on my mind these last few days that the last thing I could think of is my own birthday. I'm 18 today. That's a magical number for werewolves since their instinct will be opened to sensing their mates when they reach that age. Not for me though. I have no mate.

A thought suddenly occurs to me. If Old Mr. Maddox, the former alpha wants to claim me, today would be the day he would formally do that. I shudder at the thought. I escaped just in time.

I stare at the badly wrapped gift in my hand and picture Jonah struggling to tape the paper together. That's so hilarious but oh, so very sweet! I can't stop the big smile that breaks across my face. I fling my arms around him with a giggle and exclaim, "Thank you! Thank you, Jonah! You are so sweet!!!"