13. Lost among strangers

I was right.

I didn't see my sister or my father before I left. Surely, I would be grateful that I didn't have to see their lying faces. Really, a clean break was for the best. If my training had worked then I should have felt nothing when I left. It didn't hurt this much to leave my mother's home. So why does it hurt now? Maybe because this time I was running away from my sister instead of with her. I wonder how long person could lie to themselves before their web of lies strangled them.

Remember your training. No emotion. No fear. No regrets.

Those were the words I grew up with and I can see the sense in it. Emotions always complicate the situation. Fear can immobilise you and make you vulnerable Regrets are the things that always drive us to do bad things. Even though the teachings made sense, it didn't make it any easier to carry out.

Currently I was trying to figure out which train would take me the furthest away from this hellhole. I didn't really care about how long the journey would take me, just as long as it was far enough that I didn't have to keep on looking over my shoulder all the time.

There. London. Leaving in 10 minutes, Platform 2.

Then from there I'll go to Brighton, to the sea. I haven't seen the sea in so long. That would be the safest place for me. Of course I would only see the sea if I got through London which would be a hell of a ride.

London.

The Shadow Slave's home.

I mean, it was so perfect for them. With so many people trying to climb the work ladder it was a watering hole for them. The backstabbers and the cheaters were prime food sources. London was the place where the Shadow Slaves festered and their enemies were silenced by a phone call.

Everyone knew everyone. And everyone knew how many skeletons were in the closest.

My skeletons were few and far between.

"Sir, you want to speak to me?" I politely asked as I entered the grand room. In the furthest corner sat my uncle. My beloved uncle, a man who thought the sky was made of gold and evil was a thing of myth. "Uncle, are you ok?"

"Sky! Bless you I didn't mean to make you rush here. Everything is perfectly alright. My dear." He smiled energetically and indicated for me to sit in the large lush chair opposite him. There was a bottle of brandy on the table next to him. Though it was open his glass seemed dry and unused.

I sank down onto the chair, careful not to ruin the fine chair with my dirty shoes. When uncle had called me I was tending to the horse. In a attempt to get here quickly I forgot to change my boots, though I remembered to put on some clean clothes. The servants will go mental when they see the dirt on the polished floor. "Why have you called me here uncle?"

"Ah yes," he fixed his glasses on his very pointed nose. "I was wondering if you were going to the ball tonight."

I sighed and lent back in the soft massive chair that practically engulfed you. "Uncle you already know the answer. I can't go."

"Why not?"

"Well for first it's the boy's job to ask. None of the girls are not given invitations. But more importantly I have to guard River."

"Oh River can take care of herself for one night I'm sure. I think there are more than enough boys ready to ask you to the ball."

"Oh uncle you know I would say no to all of them for you."