chapter 1

ethan's pov

moving was a big deal, cali is far away from new orleans. it's still 2059 miles away, 30 hours by car, 3 hours 41 minutes by plane.

yes, i have already checked the times. yes, i want to go back there badly. i miss the never-ending sunshine, the beaches and the amazing sights. here, it's humid and sticky, all there is a french quarter and a bayou with alligators that can kill you.

already, i'm over it and i have been here for 72 hours.

it's coming to the end of the summer and i have a couple of days before school. like most of the things here, i reckon it will be pretty shit.

i'm going to be a senior this year, i'm eighteen in a couple of months which is scary, i was looking forward to senior year in cali, but now i'm not too sure.

it will be the same thing, i will hate maths and science, do well in english, do really well in spanish and barely pass gym.

then you have the jocks, the nerds, the normals, the punks, the fuck boys, the girls who always get away with the dress code because the male teachers like to look, the loners, the weird kids, the goody two shoes and then the ones that i try to avoid, the populars.

pray for me.

————————————————

"so, your tour guide is called cara and she will meet you at the main office. you have money to buy food at the canteen and your father will pick you up after school. i'm only a call away and if you need picking up just ring me, i love you my baby boy, your so sp-"

"mom, stop it." i sighed, she was doing a protective mom talk that she had said four times in the past three days.

she wouldn't have to say this if i was still in cali.

"okay, okay."

she let me be for the remainder of the car journey, but silence was even worse.

what if i don't fit it? what if i won't make any friends? what if i totally screw this up for myself? why did we have to move?

"okay honey, we're here." she said as she turned to look at me "i love you."

"yeah mom, love you too." i said as i opened the door and got out of the car.

i walked through the gates and made my way towards the doors, i don't want attention but i knew i would. i kept my head down and my strides got longer and quicker.

my hands tightened on my backpack as i saw signs pointing towards the main office, my moms words replaying in my head.

cara, i wonder if she will be nice or bitchy? fingers crossed the former.

i tapped on the window of the office, a head popped up and smiled, an older women with grey hair and yellow teeth was looking at me strangely.

"and how can i help you?" she said leaning forward and putting her head in her palm, her mouth widened into a smile as i could see her pink lipstick on her teeth.

okay then...be polite ethan.

"i...err...i'm new, i've come to collect my sheets for my timetable and my locker." i squirmed out.

"there you are sweetie." she passed them to me, brushing my hand "do you need me to show you around?" her smile widened and her eyebrows raised suggestively.

"i'm taking him, no need to worry miss," a girl stepped forward, with medium brown hair and dark brown eyes. she was pretty. this must be cara. "you have lipstick on your teeth."