1.4: Dead Ends

It wasn't long before the others slowly trickled into the recording room. Yoongi played a piece I'd never heard on the piano while Jin tried to add some chords to the song with a guitar. Namjoon was still talking with the girl at the front desk. I heard Hoseok's cheerful voice coming from outside the studio and I could practically imagine his sunny smile.

Jimin and I were sitting on two blue cushioned chairs pushed near the corner to the piano. We listened to the peaceful harmony of the two instruments. It was nice to have something so calming while turmoil had churned my thoughts like a blender since yesterday.

It wasn't long before Jimin adjusted his small body to fit comfortably in his chair and rested his head on my shoulder. In a matter of seconds, his breathing became rhythmic and his chest rose and fell methodically. He must've been exhausted from crying for so long, I thought, listening to the quiet sound of his breathing.

Despite the calmness of my surroundings, I still felt my anxiety and worry creeping at the back of my mind. No matter how hard I tried, Jungkook would always appear in my thoughts. Whether it be a memory or a dream, he would always be there.

I felt guilty for hating the sight of him.

It was frustrating, to say the least. Why was I the only one who knew about him? Did I have something to do with it? What was the meaning of my strange dreams?

No one could answer the questions I had, because no one knew how to.

Jimin worried me the most. I thought about the eager look in Jimin's eyes when I described a memory of Jungkook. He said he knew him, but the memories were foggy. It was too easy to see his own frustration breaking him up. I was afraid that all of his emotions would overcome him.

"It's like trying to think of a memory that never existed," he had explained while we were sitting at the piano.

I massaged the back of my neck. All of this was too much. It was too much stress and too much fear. The fact that I was alone in this fight was even worse. Sure, Jimin might vaguely remember him, but he didn't feel the guilt and confusion that I did. I slumped in my seat, exhaustion tugging at my consciousness.

My eyes drooped and my head fell forward. I jerked back awake, rubbing my tired eyes and forcing myself to keep them open. Sleeping and suffering another awful nightmare was a risk I wasn't willing to take, but it would be hard to resist.

As I tried to stay awake, Jin began to sing softly while he played the guitar with Yoongi's piano. I smiled drowsily. They were the oldest of us and they seemed to work well with each other. We all loved music, but Jin and Yoongi's songs were by far the most beautiful and calming. The music made me feel even more relaxed and at peace. Thank god for Jin and Yoongi, I thought, my consciousness slipping. And Namjoon, Hoseok, Jimi...

Before I knew it, my eyes had closed.

I heard birds chirping pleasantly, unlike the obnoxious cawing I heard too often in my dreams. I quickly leapt to my feet and looked at my surroundings.

It was strange that there were chirping birds. I couldn't see them in the shadows that enveloped me. I could only see the worn metal floor that shone dully in the light that circled me like a spotlight.

"Are you here, Jungkook?" I asked, feeling stupid immediately after. He had never talked to me in my dreams.

I strained my ears as I listened for footsteps through the chirping. The chirping grew louder and louder, then stopped eerily.

Talons scratched the metal floor under me.

I froze, trying to locate where they were coming from. Goosebumps raced down my arms. The scratching turned into loud, hair-raising screeching.