Chapter Nine: Sticks and Stones

"Is that what I think it is?" I asked.

Behind me Troy had muted the TV, something he never did when college football was on. He stood behind me and put his hand on my shoulder leaning around me to get a better view of the paper Liv had just sent me.

"Mr. and Mrs. Swanson," I read aloud.

I paused to swat a fly that was buzzing around my ear.

Looking up I saw the couple staring at me. I could see the Liv's excited face, biting her lower lip and propped up on her tiptoes, practically bouncing up and down.

Troy had a pleased look on his face as well, but his was a more subdued grin, trying to hide his excitement. Troy had a habit of pushing his lips together and narrowing his eyes when he was trying to hide his emotions. He thought that his poker face was better than it really was, which is why I tended to win.

I didn't need to keep reading, the couple's body language was practically screaming. I continued anyway.

"We are pleased to announce that your application has been approved..." I looked up at the couple.

"Guys, congratulations. This is great."

Liv literally bounced before throwing her arms around me. Troy gave me a quick bump on the shoulder before turning the game back on. Apparently, the commercials were finished.

"So, California," I said. "How much time do you guys have left?"

"We have to be there by next Monday, and it's a six-day drive" Liv said. "So..."

"Four," Troy interjected.

"Six," Liv said in a stern voice, looking at Troy with furrowed eyebrows.

"Shit," I said. "Fuck, I saw the moving truck outside, but I just thought...Well, I don't know."

"Good luck?" I added.

"We leave in the morning," Liv said. "Thanks for coming, it would have killed us if we didn't get to say goodbye.

"I know it's sudden, just with everything that happened..."

"I get it," I said. "You needed a change. Just, to get away from everything."

"Yeah, after Je..," Liv tried to say the name, I could see her fighting back tears. She frowned and squeezed her eyes closed.

"It's your fault, you know," Troy said, turning to look at me.

It wasn't Troy any longer. A swarm of flies obscured his face. I could hear them buzzing in my ears and feel them biting at my exposed flesh.

Beneath the cloud of insects, replacing the face of my friend, I could make out two fiery eyes and a Cheshire grin of long and yellowed fangs.

"She's dead," Not-Troy yelled. "She's dead because of you."

I turned to see Liv, but she was blue and bloated. Her black hair was matted and beginning to fall out in clumps. In her arms she held a child, rocking it back and forth.

"It's your fault, Gus. It's you.."

***

I gasped awake from the dream and fell to the ground screaming while holding my hands over my ears. Had I been asleep? I was almost certain I hadn't.

Was I having the nightmares while I was awake now? That was a weakness I couldn't afford.

My head felt like it had been split open, but I finally grew aware of how much of a commotion I was making. I sat up and moved back until my shoulders rested against the seat of the bench while I remained seated on the ground.