Chapter 38: Family Ties

Four years ago...

As I opened the door my senses were assaulted by the sweet smell of perfume and the pleasant smell of ozone that always followed a thunderstorm. I could feel a gentle breeze caress my face and I heard the rhythmic thumping of an open shutter swaying in the wind. A petite brunette was framed by blue curtains that billowed and swelled as gusts of wind blew through an open window.

"Shit, Liv," I said. "Can you close that window?"

"Sorry," she reached out and pulled the two halves of the window closed. As the wooden frame clicked shut the howls of the wind died down to a quiet whimper.

"I should have texted first, but I just needed to see you. I hope it's okay?" Her nose scrunched up as she pulled her lips into a tight smile. I gave up on trying to pretend I was angry. Her effortless cuteness was like a reset button for my nerves.

"Of course, though you know you can use the front door? You're more welcome at my house than I am." I stared at her for a few moments – my eyes lingered on the pink dress that clung to the gentle curves of her hips. "Uh, you're soaking wet. Just wait here, I'll get you a towel."

I gave her a smile as I walked towards the closed door of my bathroom. I opened it while making sure to keep the door angled so she couldn't see the mess inside.

"Here." I tossed her a white, folded towel and closed the door with a gentle click. As she caught the towel she glanced down at it and I tried to hide my embarrassment while secretly hoping she wouldn't notice my initials, AFF, embroidered in gold thread.

"That was a gift from the parentals," I said. "Haven't even used it yet so it should be clean."

I rubbed the back of my head with one hand and looked down at my feet. When I looked back up at Liv she was still standing in front of the window, but she had turned away and was looking out at the retreating storm clouds.

She held the towel down at her side. It hung loosely, still unused and folded.

"So... where's Troy? He's been avoiding me all week. You have been, too. I miss you guys."

"Troy hasn't been avoiding you, Gus. He's just been working through some stuff, is all. Me too." Her voice trailed off at the end, and for a moment I could detect sadness in her eyes.

"What kinda —"

"I'm pregnant."

"That's..." I started. I just stood there like an idiot for a few moments. "Why are you telling me this? I mean we're only juniors, for Cris... Are you going to finish the school year? Does Troy know?"

"Yeah, I told him when I found out last week," she said. "He knows it's his and he asked me to marry him." She turned and stared at me unblinking. I could see her determination from the way she protruded her jaw slightly, something she always did when trying to look serious.

"Are you sure it's...?" I asked. "How far... how many weeks?"

"That's not important, Gus. Just promise me you'll leave it alone, okay? I love you both... but it's his baby, okay?"

"Okay, Liv..." I regretted the words instantly. I screamed internally as I raged at myself to take back the words. I didn't want it to be okay, but I refused to come between my two best friends. I loved them both too much.

"Just one thing, Liv," I called out.

She glanced up, and we locked eyes for a few moments. I burned the image of her face into my memory. Her blue eyes were framed by lines of running mascara and reddish-brown curls that threatened to consume her face at any moment. Her mouth was drawn tight and her red lips were slightly puckered.