Chapter Fifteen: Revelations

I sat on the small cot in my room, my head resting against the cool grey wall. My eyes were closed but my face was tightened in concentration. Around me invisible weaves of energy flowed into spirals and helixes. When that got boring I switched over to drawing simple figures and writing out the alphabet.

This was a crude and simplistic use of my newly gained ability to manipulated mana and eldritch energies, but it helped me to get a grasp on how to control and guide the energy. At high levels I believed I would be able to use the abilities to form constructs, or even craft my own spells or copy the spells of others. Theoretically I could already do this, but it was good to be able to take a more active role in my own development.

Like with most skills, the first two levels of mana manipulation came fast matching the two levels I already had in Eldritch Manipulation. With the increase I noticed not only an increased dexterity in my control of mana, but also an increased ability to sense it around me. I could 'see' mana in finer detail.

The skill increases brought my total FP to six, well above the four I required to finish the Inspiration feat. The additional two points had not been necessary, as I'd had the four required as soon as I'd woken up after Pastor Belk.

I had been subconsciously putting off purchasing the feat. I knew it made no sense to put it off, and that I was only delaying out of fear of being disappointed. Truth is without life and death challenges I am a legendary procrastinator. Practicing my new skills had only been a way to put off the inevitable.

Inwardly sighing, I brought up my status screen and found my list of available feats. I sat looking at the list carefully reading each feat, perhaps thinking one would jump out at me as being objectively better than inspiration. It was a feeble hope.

I suspect that my indecision was caused by my own mental fatigue. A good night's rest would probably have cleared my mind. The thought of sleep immediately brought me back to my senses. I'd had too many bad experiences lately.

I instead turned my mind back towards the topic of the Inspiration feat. I had already invested so many FP it made no sense to hesitate now.

My resolve steeled by my own sunk cost argument I poured four more FP in the skill. I was rewarded with a soft ding as a notification screen appeared. I ignored the usual congratulations focusing only on the meat of the feat itself.

Inspiration ® - You have peered into the secrets of the universe seeking hidden, esoteric truths. In a moment of inspiration, you have taken hold of hidden knowledge of great power. Ancient knowledge contains secrets of power lost to modern ages, but so too does knowledge of self bring great returns. It is up to the seeker to decide what knowledge to pursue.

Do you pursue knowledge long thought lost, or do your studies delve inward?

Again, the system hit me with a knowledge wall. If I had examples to follow I could know the results of each choice. I suspected that the results would be different each time, but I had no way to be sure. Even if the results were random I could have searched for patterns, found the option that gave the greatest return on average or had the greatest number of highly ranked skills or feats.

For the first time I regretted not staying with the Peacekeepers. Talith had been reluctant to give me specific build advice, but surely, I could have picked her brain if I had had more time.

No, if I had stayed I wouldn't now have a lead on where to find Troy and Liv. I would probably still be dealing with the corruption eating away at my memories or be looking over my shoulder wondering what Sebbit would do if he discovered I had lied to him. I couldn't worry about past mistakes, I had to keep moving forward.