7: Ballerina

Content note: contains depictions of ableism

Three years ago...

The Autism Dance Class studio loomed ahead of Katie. She felt very nervous. Her mother had been very sceptical, saying that with how autistic Katie was meant she'd probably be rejected. But Katie refused to believe that.

She was rushed inside in a flurry of tutus and paperwork and ableism. Then a nice looking lady instructed Katie on where the changing rooms were and thrust a big oversized blue tutu and patterned leotard at her.

"I'm already wearing one," said Katie, gesturing to the little pink tutu she was wearing over her leotard.

"That one is unacceptable," says the lady firmly. "We are an autism group, yeah?" She slows down her speech. 

Okay, so maybe not so nice as she seemed.

Upon closer inspection, the leotard was patterned with puzzle pieces in different shades of blue. The white lettering of Autism Saviour's logo was printed on the back with the words 'Saving Katie' underneath.

Definitely not a good sign. 

"Put it on, Katie," insisted the woman. "Your mummy paid a lot of money for you to come here."

That's when Katie noticed that the boy standing next to the lady was looking quite uncomfortable with this conversation. Wanting to spare the boy, Katie snatched the tutu and leotard and headed into the girls' changing rooms.

When she got there she sees that the majority of the other girls were dressed in the blue puzzle piece leotard and tutu. There were some stragglers still getting changed. Because Katie's fine motor skills were not amazing, Katie took her time climbing out of her clothes and getting into her leotard.

"Girls, you are late! Late! I'm wasting my time."

Katie stamped over to the dance floor. "If you're not as useless as you seem, you'll pick it up. Maybe it'll teach you to be less autistic."

And then Katie did something she'd never done before.

She disobeyed.

And she sat down.