16: Uninvited Guests

"Where are father and mother?" Mei Yanran asked the servant girl.

"To reply young Miss, master went off to the palace for morning court this morning and still hasn't returned. Madame is resting in her rooms for an afternoon nap," the servant said dutifully.

So both of them are busy...

Mei Yanran frowned. The afternoons were the best times for her to practice her dancing without being disturbed by her makeshift 'family' or ploys of the plot. She was actually sitting on the floor of her ancient-equivalent dance studio right now, her hair in a bun and her clothes nothing but a form-fitting jumpsuit. They were blatantly out of place in this setting and time period, but the servant girl, as well as the rest of her family members, didn't even bat an eye. None of them were 'real' people to begin with---while the novel characters at least had backstories and text references, hers were merely figments of her imagination given form by the goddess.

In fact, she herself was only here more as a soul than a body, so she probably didn't even need to train at all. But ha! Tell a dancer not to dance? You might as well cut off my limbs and throw my body into the sea!

"Who is it?" Mei Yanran asked next. Hopefully she could reject them so she wouldn't have to get changed. After a good workout, she still needed to bathe!

"I'm not sure, young Miss. It's a gentleman and his retainer. They've brought along a cart as well."

"Do either of them have red markings above his eyebrows?" That's Ling Fengxiao's signature look, after all.

"No, young Miss," the servant shook her head.

"What about the cart? Anything special about it?"

"It seems to be heaped high with bundles of things..."

Is it a door-to-door salesman? Mei Yanran frowned, before shaking her head. "Tell them I'm not seeing any visitors today." Especially ones who are men!

The servant bowed and went to pass on the message. Mei Yanran began to speculate between using fans versus sleeves for her next dance until quick footsteps came running back to her studio.

"What is it now?" Mei Yanran said as she distractedly tested moves in front of a hazy mirror. Dang it, I should've asked for modern mirrors instead. I look like melted cheese in this.

"Y-young Miss," the servant said out of breath. "The visitor, he---he's the---"

Mei Yanran simply waited as she tried a twirl and then a leg lift. Hmm, works well here but it wouldn't be as dramatic in a skirt. Unless I hold my position after lifting my leg, maybe...

"---he's the crown prince!" the servant gasped, before dropping to her knees to present an item in her hands.

To her credit, Mei Yanran didn't lose her balance, but she ended up hugging her leg to herself in surprise. "What, Chu Yeguang's here?"

"His Highness is waiting right outside," the servant stammered. "He told me to bring this token to you as proof."

Mei Yanran glanced at the item in the servant's hands and picked it up---an imperial seal of sorts, made of gold and used by high-ranking members of royalty to identify themselves. She dropped it like she'd been burned.

The servant looked up anxiously as she caught the item again. "Should I bring him to the guest hall, young Mi---"

"Keep him out!" Mei Yanran shot back. Later on in the story, Crown Prince Chu Yeguang would be the main obstacle to the male lead getting the throne. In other words, he was one of the story's future antagonists.

The last thing I need is for him to come into my house! I'll be accused of consorting with the enemy, ahh~

"Then, young Miss, what should we do? He's still there..."

"Chase him away!" Mei Yanran blurted, before shaking her head. "No, don't, he's a prince. Um, uh---hang on, I'll think of something. Let me get changed first!" She was already running out of the studio and to her rooms, opening her wardrobe and flipping through drawers of clothing for something simple and appropriate.

"What if we told the madame?" her servant suggested, but Mei Yanran only shook her head and starting stripping off her clothes.

"Mother will just invite in him for tea, which is the last thing I want!"

She quick changed into an appropriate outfit and shoes before undoing her bun, causing a cascade of black hair to tumble down her shoulders. There was no time to do a proper hairstyle now, so she simply grabbed the first hat she saw and dashed out the door.

A record five minutes later saw Mei Yanran standing sedately by the front gate, straightening out her clothes while her servant gingerly stood by her side. Somehow, the hat she'd picked ended up being one of those with a built in veil which---while great for hiding her face---also made it hard for her to see a thing. She fiddled with the cloth as she said, "Open the door, Old Wang."

Old Wang the steward bowed before doing as she was told. Mei Yanran stopped him when the gates were only slightly ajar, and stepped to block the doorway. "Your Highness?"

--

Chu Yeguang had been speaking with his retainer when he heard the familiar voice behind him. He instantly turned back, eyes brightening at the sight of the girl by the door.

"Miss Mei! Please, no need to stand on formalities. Today I'm simply an admirer come with a surprise." He tried to read her expression, but it was impossible to see clearly beyond the traveling hat and veil over her head. "...is Miss Mei, perhaps, planning on heading out?"

I've got a dance to make and a man to chase! Mei Yanran huffed mentally, but merely dipped in a bow again. "No, Your Highness. Yanran is merely sensitive to the cold." And I know better than to let some random 'admirer' stare at my face, even if he is the crown prince!

"Yes, days like this are perfect for a hot cup of tea," Chu Yeguang sighed emphatically.

"Indeed, Your Highness. Yanran has heard that the teashop down the street makes a strong brew for winter days."

"Ah, but that can't compare to a cup made fresh at home!"

"Yanran would never presume to compare such tea with the delicacies of the imperial palace, Your Highness."

"Even the palace tea can be too much at times. That's why this prince prefers to taste the flavors of our capital and its citizens instead."

"Truly, Your Highness is a prince of the people and much to be admired."

"......." Chu Yeguang paused and tried a smile. I'm giving her so many chances to invite me inside, so why hasn't she done it yet?!

"......." Mei Yanran politely smiled back behind the confines of her veil. I'm dropping so many hints that I'm not interested, so why hasn't he given up yet?!

---

Author's Note: If you're having trouble visualizing Mei Yanran's hat, it's the kind in the chapter GIF up top! That's Janine Chang in The Advisor's Alliance, by the way. Also, dedicated this chapter to silentscarlettt , for being the first to guess it was the crown prince charging over. Lelel.