Prologue

Deep in the rainforest, two RainWings were running. Behind them, four NightWings were in hot pursuit. One RainWing glanced back, seeing a pale green RainWing racing behind him. "Faster, Mango!" yelled Hoatzin. Mango was a pale green, just like himself. Fear. Suddenly a blast of fire burst from the trees, engulfing his mate in red hot fire. There was screaming, from both Mango and Hoatzin. The NightWing who had breathed fire ran out of the trees, nostrils smoking and a smirk on his face. Hoatzin suddenly opened his jaws and shot venom at his face. The NightWing screamed, staggering and clawing at his face. A weight suddenly landed on his back, and he hissed, scratching at a female NightWing's snout. She growled and leapt off, taking long enough for Hoatzin to spray her. The other two NightWings had fled. Hoatzin rushed over to Mango. "Mango? Mango! Mango wake up, the healers can fix this!" Mango didn't move, then whispered. "Take care of our egg." She whispered to Hoatzin. "Raise her." Hoatzin looked at the bag around his neck, where their one egg was. He looked at Mango, who then took a final breath, and sighed it out. "Mango..? Mango, stop it right now or I'll put thorns in your nest, Mango!" Hoatzin felt tears stream down his face. He shook his head, and flew out of the rainforest canopy. He glanced down at the bag, where their egg was. I'll name her Ocelot. He thought. What Mango wanted. But it's this egg's fault that Mango's dead. I'll keep her alive.. but I won't love her.