Re:animate

Obito and Deidara talk.

-

The night air is uncharacteristically cool on his heated skin, his gaze glazed over as he recalls the moments he has spent with Deidara, in this life and the last. They overlap, covering a timespan that cannot be realistic or true. But it is. It manages to defy all laws and exist within the mysterious workings of his mind, flowing endlessly within his mess of memories.

He is once again reminded that he shouldn't attempt to understand the concept of time. It folds into itself, moving through itself, bending into itself, connecting with itself in non-linear ways...

He rubs his eyes harshly to get rid of the tears with his left hand as he continues to dash out of the apartment complex, ignoring the gazes that other people throw at him for running in his school uniform.

The next time he blinks, however, he finds himself standing in the middle of a clearing.

Obito twirls around in confusion, blinking rapidly in hopes of dispelling the trick his mind is playing on him. However, he does not have such luck.

"Damn it," he mutters underneath his breath, his aggression beginning to burn him from the inside. "Am I dreaming or not?"

There is a gust of wind blowing through the clearing and it sends the grass bowing, a rippling effect coming straight at him. He slows down for a moment, taking in the scene and realizing that this is very, very real. For a second, he feels his heart rate slow and a sense of calm washes over him.

But then, it's hard to calm down completely when he suddenly realizes there's something in front of his face.

He raises a hand to see what it is, but when he does he notices immediately that he's wearing gloves. It soon dawns on him that he's not wearing his school uniform anymore.

He's wearing that strange outfit with the cloud design.

He's in his dream.

Or has he finally woken up?

He blinks in confusion at the thought, but it quickly fades from his mind when he hears a set of footsteps behind him, keenly aware of how he's extremely sensitive to the sound, considering the fact that it's stepping on the damp grass. He turns his head a fraction to catch a figure with long blonde hair walking away from him.

For a few moments, his mind remains blank. However, the blanket is soon lifted and flutters away from his thoughts, and there's only one thing that comes to mind.

Deidara.

As though he is dying of thirst and that Deidara is a mighty glass of water, he begins to tread through the sea of grass, in a desperate effort of following his lifeline.

Why? Why is he so desperate?

His feet feel heavier and heavier with every step he takes and eventually, he loses sight of Deidara. He stops at the edge of the forest and tries to peer into the thickets, seeing nothing but trees. There is a more logical voice that speaks to him within his mind. It says, reasonably, that he would have a better chance of seeing him if he is up clearing, with nothing else obstructing his view, so it would be a bad idea to head inside.

But somehow, the more that voice tries to reason with him, the more he wants to enter the forest. After what feels like years of contemplating, he finally steps through into the forest and he feels as though he is extremely familiar with the environment, even though he has never seen a forest before.

He allows his legs to expertly carry him through the woods, only ever stepping in the wrong places when he focuses on where he actually is. He distracts himself by looking at the scenery, trying to peer between trunks to see if he could catch a glimpse of golden hair.