Part 3

The rest of the day went slow, but eventually nightfall returned and the sun left with a colorful sunset for us to remember through the night. I spent most of the day up on my hill, occasionally galloping around the herd. When the moon replaced the sun in the sky, I returned to my mother's side and went to sleep.

     The next morning came fast, and I was up on my hill to greet the sun again. This time though, I wasn't able to run and stretch my legs. Once the sunrise was over, I galloped around the herd a few times, but it didn't feel the same. For the rest of the day, it felt like something was missing. Without my before-dawn run, the day felt incomplete.

     I followed this changed pattern for a few days, trying to get used to it. The shortened distance began to affect my legs. Eventually, they began to ache for the freedom and speed they once had. They felt tight, and no matter how much I ran around the herd, they never felt the same. My normal routine was thrown off. My distance was thrown off. My normal speed was thrown off. My freedom was thrown off.

     One day, after trying to get used to my new routine, I couldn't take it anymore. I stood a few feet away from the herd, fighting the urge to run away and turn the herd into tiny specks once more. I wanted so bad to run at my normal speed, to feel the wind as I ran against it. My nostrils flared as I took in the smell of water in the air. My heart and legs wanted so bad to bolt forward. My mind told me to stay with the herd, obey my mother. I knew I could easily get lost in the brewing storm above, but it was a two against one battle between my heart, legs, and mind. My knees suddenly bent to begin a sprint, but I stopped myself. The longer I stood there staring at the gray horizon, the more my heart burned and ached to disregard everything and satisfy my soul.

     The sky was unhappy and seemed to match my emotions as lightning began a light show in the sky. The distance and freedom seemed to be calling me. My ears were erect, and I mentally fought myself to stay with the herd. At that moment, the first sound of thunder boomed in the sky, and before I knew it I was sprinting across the field. I whinnied to the sky, answering the thunder that started my bolt. Behind me I could hear my mother screaming for me, but I was too far away by now. Rain began to fall, adding to the already chaotic storm. The drops of water stung my skin like tiny needles as I picked up even more speed. My body sweat from the heavy amount of humidity in the air.

     As I chased the storm I didn't care about my safety or how worried my mother was. I was focused on the overwhelming satisfaction in my legs as they stretched and reached their full potential. The sky cried out again, sending chills down my spine. I was soaked with water and sweat. As I ran into the eye of the storm, my legs began to ache, begging for me to stop. At that moment I realized the danger I was truly in and I slowed my sprint until I finally came to a stop. I stood in the pouring rain. Lightning continued to arc the sky as it challenged the thunder to outperform it.

     My chest heaved up and down as I attempted to catch my breath. My heart was pounding so hard it shook my whole body. The thickness in the air made it difficult to breathe. My coat was dripping and my mouth was dry. My legs shook with weakness and my once golden legs were brown with mud. Lightning lit the world up for a split second before darkness returned. The thunder responded to its flashy opponent with it's loudest performance yet, knocking me to the ground. The last thing I remembered was being caught in the middle of a disastrous storm before the world went black.