Chapter 4

"What exactly are we supposed to do?" Mickey asked as Naarin led us to the armoury, where several soldiers were taking up their weapons and armour. "I can't fight! The closest thing I've done is play computer games, and I'm not great at those either."

"Just stick next to me," Naarin said, handing us a sword and shield each. "I can't guarantee you'll be completely safe by my side but you'll stand more chance than if you go off and try to do this yourselves."

At that moment Nightshade and Nikkela entered the room. The healer had a bow over one shoulder and a quiver full of black-feathered arrows over the other.

"What are you two doing here?" Naarin asked, frowning. "I assumed you'd gone with my sister."

"I intended to," Nightshade replied, sounding a little irritated, "but she told me she thought you'd need my assistance more than she does."

"You're also going to need a healer more than she does," Nikkela said with a sigh. "Besides, you always seem to forget I'm one of the best archers in the Shadow Glade."

"Fine," Naarin said with a laugh. "I guess the more weapons available to me, the better. Do we know what the situation's like out there?"

"The barrier is mere moments from falling," Nightshade replied. "Luckily for us the sentinels are slowing the enemy's progress, but their numbers are few and they won't be able to hold them for long."

"Spread the forces out," Arcturus commanded as he walked into the room. "We don't number enough for a pitched battle, but if we fight them street to street we may stand a chance. Nightshade can take the right side of the city, Naarin, you defend the left. I'll defend the central route. If we spread a mix of weapons among each group, we'll be less likely to be overwhelmed."

"We'd better take up our positions then," Naarin said. "I'd like to give one last speech before the arrows start flying."

As we stepped out of the royal tower and into the central square there was a definite sense of tension in the air. As I walked I caught the occasional glimpse of a Fairy soldier, hanging out in the alleys between buildings or peering out the windows of nearby houses. Some wore the long green cloaks of the sentinels, some were dressed like the city guards, and others were garbed as if they'd been interrupted during their work and had consequently just grabbed the nearest tool as a makeshift weapon.

Naarin took a moment to look around as Nightshade and Arcturus took up their positions at the bottom of the steps.

"I don't need to remind you all what's at stake here," Naarin said loudly, addressing the people. "We have retreated long enough, so we need to make a stand here, now, or our enemy may never be stopped." There was a cheer that was low but just about audible. "I will not, however, ask you to take the ultimate risk; if we sound the retreat you are to fall back to the tunnels immediately, and don't stop until you reach the safe havens at the other end. Good luck, and may Matha'ra be with us all."

"Good luck, Prince," Arcturus called after us as we headed away from the steps and down one of the side streets. I turned back and smiled, though it was rather half-hearted.

Eventually we found our way to a spot where, along with a sizable group of archers, Nikkela was waiting. She flashed a smile in our direction.

"Clint, I'm scared," Crystal said suddenly, her sword arm shaking visibly. "I... I've never hurt anyone before."

"You'll be safe with us," Nikkela said, giving Crystal's shoulder a gentle squeeze to try and reassure her. "I'll do my best to stop them from reaching you."

Before Crystal could respond there was a bright burst of light above us as the barrier finally gave way, closely followed by a loud, inhuman shriek that seemed to ring out around the entire city.