Chapter 18

"We assumed that the new President would have other matters to deal with," Selina's father said once we'd all gathered around the fire. "After all, if nothing else he has my 'funeral' to plan. But while we were picking up our IDs the man at the desk assumed we were there to see the President's 'special guest' speak to the Assembly."

"Crap," Mickey said, punching the ground next to him. "I don't think we need to check this guy's name to know who he's sending."

"It's not a he," Selina's father replied. "It's a she. I... accidentally... caught a glimpse of her picture; it's the same woman who accompanied me to the meeting in England."

"My mum?" Niana asked, squeezing my hand so hard from the shock that I visibly winced, causing her to give me an apologetic smile. "How can they be trying the same kind of attack as before? They can't believe we'd let them do that a second time, surely?"

"I don't think they plan on attacking," Herian replied. "Honestly, I think this is where the enemy tries to turn the rest of the world against us. They need some kind of final proof of the threat of the fairy races, and who would know better than someone who is themselves a fairy?"

"Then we have to get there first," Selina said, "or at least be a hell of a lot more persuasive."

"Why did you say we might not want to be involved?" Mickey asked, giving Herian a puzzled look.

"Because we may have misjudged the situation," Herian replied, "and if we have, and this turns into a fight, you may need to be willing to kill the messenger." He shook his head. "I can't ask you to kill a member of your own family, I just can't."

"Whatever that... thing... is, it's not my mother," Niana replied, standing up suddenly. "If I have to kill it in order to save people, I'll do it. I'll do whatever it takes."

"Then we'd better go," Herian said. "Let's just hope my magic is as effective at disguising us as it used to be."

When we teleported we made sure to go to a location a few blocks away from the United Nations building, so that we could have our disguises applied and so we could sort out our respective IDs away from any prying eyes.

Once we were ready, we looked just like any other smartly-dressed professionals about to go on their daily commute. The few signs that any of us were anything other than human had been covered up, and after one last check we stepped out into the street.

I could feel Niana's grip tightening on my hand, making me remember that she'd never been to a human city before, never mind one the size of New York, with the thousands of people constantly milling around us. I was amazed none of us got separated from the group, and it was only the considerable height of Herian that allowed us to focus on where we were heading.

The first indication we got that we were close to our destination was the group of armed guards forming a perimeter around the square in which the UN building stood. We were forced into separate lines in order to go through the security checkpoints, but I made sure Niana stayed with me; something was making me feel uneasy and I wanted her close.

As we got through the checkpoint without any problems I could see our group ahead of us, though it took me a second to realise Selina wasn't with them. As I spun around to look I saw her being escorted into the square by a SWAT team, while more police started to surround us. By now the people in the crowd had also realised what was going on, some of them appearing startled while others took out phones or cameras to take pictures.

"I'm sorry guys," Selina said as we regrouped in the middle of the circle. "One of the guards had some kind of magic-negating item on him and I got too close to it."